Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whistle Recall Training

• 02-09-2021 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got some advice, links to decent guides etc on whistle training.

Have a 2 year old-ish rescue terrier cross.

His recall to name is decent enough, and also trained the touch command in the first few days we got him, when at home and in quiet surrounds. If he saw another dog or something very interesting though it would be zero.

Was thinking of going back to basics with him with a whistle so that all the family can partake. I find a lot of my verbal cues are decent, but when the kids etc use them they might say them differently or sound different so it doesn't work as well. My thinking is that the whistle will sound the same no matter what.

He is generally on a lead when out and about, but would like to have this worked on should the need arise in an emergency.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whistle, treat and repeat for a couple of weeks at home then try outside. I use an Acme one like this - https://irishshootingsports.ie/dog-accessories/acme-dog-whistle/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The fastest and easiest option would be to just practice recall with the dog and whistle before reach recall.

After a while the dog will preempt the recall cue and come back when it hears the whistle.

It's basically the same thing as when you transfer a physical cue to a verbal cue e. G. When you say sit just before raising a treat over a dogs nose, after a while the dog figures what's coming and jumps the gun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Buy the Pippa Mathison book "Total Recall" - very clear step by step how to teach whistle recall and proof it

Advertisement