Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moonfall (Roland Emmerich)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Makes geostorm look like a hard hitting documentary on climate change!!!! Lol!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Silly. Very very silly, but fun. I think I would have preferred a straight disaster movie though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Review starts:00:00:01

Mark: Moonfall (Chuckle)

Simon: Excellent.

Grabs the popcorn (NOT for the movie...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The other thing from Kermode's review I had forgotten to check, was his comment this the film was the most expensive "independent" film ever produced. And ... yeah; according to Wikipedia it is indeed an independent production. Ooof; someone's going to lose their shirt over this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm one of those who just needs to go to the cinema every so often but I still can't forgive ID2. I actually think it's the worst film I've ever seen. Somehow even worse than Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie.

Not surprised that people are giving this a wide berth.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After wacthing the video you posted about Bruce Willis getting paid a millions to be fed lines throught an ear peice and look bored for two days work and those movies all turn a profit. I'm sure this will eventually break even with deals made to streaming platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Trailers looked rubbish, screamed of Independence Day 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True. One can never discount the dark arts of Hollywood financing; or indeed Netflix's open chequebook; but you'd have to speculate that something with that large a budget would need a huge payday to break even. Those Bruce Willis titles looked like they were made for only 50k more than Willis' paycheque - can't imagine it took much effort to break even there!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An "independent"  movie with no real studio ties could start a nice bidding war between Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Paramount+, Peacock, Hulu/Star, Apple, Roku all who need content and when you attach Hallie Berry (who is still an A list star not a washed up one) to the title people will watch on one of those platforms some night when they are bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I liked the look of this when I saw the trailer recently but about halfway through I said to myself "oh wait, it's not Roland Emmerich is it?!" 😁 The man has made some unbelievable tosh - 2012 being the worst that I've seen; I really like 'The Day After Tomorrow' but everything else is the worst kind of cliched Hollywood garbage imo (and I include Independence Day 1 in that - which I liked when it came out, but I was young and impressionable then 😛).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Ya, I assuming you're talking about the red letter media video on it. I think they said the Willis could get up to 2 mil and that would be 98% of the budget. They were probably exaggerating but lets say the budget is 2.5mil, handy enough to make that back through the need for streaming content.

150mil on the other hand!! but it'll probably do well in China

Yeah; shared the RLM video in another thread; as to China, well that depends if the film is going to open there at all. Cos if it ain't, the movie's dead as a doornail, box office wise anyway.

I'd prefer to see Emmerich try and pare things back, take another stab at something at the level of White House Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm now 100% convinced these movies are a money laundering exercise.

I'll never forgive him for the independence day sequel.

I have no problems with Big Dumb Movies. As long as they are fun, well-made Big Dumb Movies. It's why I cannot stand the Transformers movies. I don't mind plot-holes in blockbusters but the transformers movies in particular has no through-line consistency. There is no reason for X to happen to Y at Z location other than it looks cool..... The last Transformers film I saw in the movies was, I don't know, the one with the Pyramid? I was in the cinema in Blanchardstown. My gut sinking as I watched those horrific Googly-eyes, big-lipped, gold-toothed, illiterate "urban" stereotypes straight from the 40's surrounded by families of all colours (There was more than one or two angry faces let me tell you).

But on to ID2. I never thought much of ID but that's just me. But, again, there was no flow to the story. Oh. They are on the moon. Understood. OK. Now they are in London.. OK.. Now on the... On the moon? Oh no, it's him on the moon. But isn't he on another spaceship. OK. Now in the desert.. And in Space again?

Big Dumb Movies are just as much part of the cinema as the latest Lars Von Trier mope-fest (Regardless of Scorsese's ill-judged statement - And I think he was taken slightly out of context. But anyway). They have their place as much as any other film. In fairness to them, they are a VITAL part of the industry. Sure, one may complain about Marvel movies hoovering up billions of dollars for Disney but for your local cinema this means multiple screens full. Lots of food/drink sales. This also means that other larger movies tend to stay away from these tentpole movies. Which frees up space for smaller movies for the smaller screens in the same cinema. Last week I went to see Belle. Sure, it was a pretty major release in Japan but there is no denying that there is not really a huge demand for subtitled Japanese animation on a Wednesday night in West Dublin :) They were showing it on their large screen.

TLDR: BDMs have their place. I LIKE BDMs...I just hate poorly constructed Big Dumb Movies which is what Emerich makes... again... and again... and again... And them complains about Superhero movies being all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't actually object to the idea of silly, stupid or dumb films at all. Often, they can be quite fun. 

I feel like we had a golden age of films that fell into these categories but were made as serious productions. When it feels like studios are making bad films on purpose, it ruins the fun for me. I still expect the companies making these things to put in an effort. Otherwise, it feels lazy and the cinema isn't cheap. 

I'm fine with films that are like snacks but snacks still have to taste good. That's the point of them. Moonfall looks like tediously bland, corporate nonsense that someone in a boardroom thought might catch on if they made it memey enough. Or Bad Moon Rising, The Movie. 

I used to like the Bay Transformers films. The latest one, The Last Knight permanently ruined this subgenre of stupid films for me. It was almost the worst thing I've seen in a cinema and I'm done with the franchise as a result. 

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

So, in this day of "Cancel Culture" where someone can be "Cancelled" (Yawn) for spur-of-the moment, out of context comments (I'm not justifying these comments, just saying we have all posted stuff without thinking about them from time to time 😀), look at this below.

• Someone wrote those lines
    • Someone performed those lines
    • Someone....... someone DESIGNED those characters to look EXACTLY like that
    • Some APPROVED those character designs.
    • Someone spent months animating those characters.

And EVERYONE was OK with this... (Same could be said of course for the Me So Solly aliens in Star Wars Episode one.... Or... y'know... Episode one :) )

But to your point regarding making intentionally bad movies. I can understand that from the likes of those Asylum-type studios. But Moonfall is 150 million. Assuming the same again for marketing. That's a LOT of money to be made back. It's strange to think how dated it actually seems. Disaster Movies? So 2000s. Pffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Another flop from an ex GOT "star". There does seem to be an amusing link between expensive flops/awful movies and GOT.

I dunno, I went with absolutely zero expectations and I enjoyed it for what it was. The interior moon scenes looked great, it moved along at a decent pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was tempted to go see this in the cinema at the time, glad I didn't now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

calling him a star is a bit of a stretch to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A real leave your brain at the door film but I thought it was fun, liked the moon interior design, all round there was some great CGI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Great fun for me. I never pre-judge a movie before ive seem it, but when I finish watching it its only either, Did I enjoy that or not. And this one I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Quality dumb Saturday night popcorn movie. Absolutely woeful but sure that's totally expected from this type of movie.

My only gripe was the massive use of CGI, alot of which was terribly done. Very poor. Even in normal scenes it was used, like him driving in his motorbike into the hotel. Like why?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cliche after cliché after cliché. Really, really bad.

I couldn't even find it entertaining as a "turn your brain off", some of the storylines were just terrible. Like the Black Friday footage supposed to be looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched it last night, what were they thinking? the actors did a bang up job of not looking like they were regretting their life choices so kudos .

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

so bad.. all the tropes from The Abyss, The Core and 2012... all rolled into one squidgy mess...

but the scenes inside the moon were cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Holy ****! It was bad. I watched it tonight. Apart from the obvious, it had "The first men in the moon" and "When world's collide" written all over it. So poor. Even my 14 year old daughter could see the holes and she see's the holes in ID and ID2. Emmerich is really a complete rip off merchant. All style and no substance. I loved ID but only because it was a spectacle in the Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Maybe it was just the fact I had a few hours to myself today to watch something at home, but I really enjoyed that.

Its stupidly silly, but it's been ages since I watched a Emmerich disaster film.

The formula is the same, but I have soft spot for these kind of stories, and in particular, Emmerich, when he's more The Day After Tomorrow, and less ID2, which as someone rightly pointed out, was probably one of the worst tentpoles movies every made.

I knew nothing about this when I turned it on. and just enjoyed the silliness of it all. I actually thought John Bradley did a decent job, as with Berry and Wilson. Intentionally or not, the film kept it on the right side of seriousness, never leaning into full parody and visually, it looks decent enough as well.

• Advertisement

I watched this yesterday and am delighted that I did. My favourite guilty pleasure is The Core so no surprise that I enjoyed it.

It's terrible, oh so terrible, but it's on the right side of fun without falling completely to cheese.

It's not as bland as ID2, brought to you by the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Much like The Core it's that cast which help. Fine it's not up there with The Core, seriously though look at that IMDB page, but Wilson, Berry, Bradley deliver enough to keep me engaged

Elon Musk love-in has aged like milk, in about as much time too

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement