Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you tell a fully grown adult to wash their hands

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Well I ended up sending him an anonymous text message. And that didn't work.

I honestly don't know what to do without catching him coming right out of the bathroom after flushing. I'll then say something.

But how else can I tell him. I think it's disgusting that he can have his hands up his ass, and he will go around touching everything after that. He will empty clean cutlery and plates from the dishwasher with the same unwashed hands.

He has started using our toilet paper in the bathroom as well. I don't understand, we're not going to kill him for using soap as well.

Or is this a case of just saying something and getting over it?

This whole issue makes me sick with the thought of it. That I just had to tell him and use the shaming advice I received here. I sent him a message to say that I was awake in the morning when he was getting ready and noticed how he walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands. I told him it was disgusting behaviour and he needs to wash his hands.

Well, I didn't get a reply and he didn't buy soap to use. Since he buys his own toilet paper, i thought he might buy his own soap. But there's nothing new in the bathroom.

So what now? He might as well rub his ass all over everything in the house. It's gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Well, you couldn't have handled it more badly if you tried. The only way you can broach a sensitive subject like this is face to face. Not using text messages, post-it notes or dropping hints. They do not work. Ever. You blew your chance by avoiding the direct approach. All that's left is a face to face conversation. The slim chances of that going well have evaporated because of what went before.

I was accused earlier in this thread of being unhelpful but I'm being bleakly realistic here. There are people out there who are clueless filthy pigs and nothing you can say will ever fix them. I almost laughed when I got to the bit about him not buying soap. You really don't get it, do you?

At best, he might wash his hands when you're at home, to stop you giving him a hard time. When you're not at home, he probably won't bother. That's the best case scenario.

The only way this can be solved is by one of you ceasing to live in the house. Unless he's planning on moving, it looks like you'll be going. All you can do in the meantime is keep your personal things in your room. Good luck with the house hunting.

Thanks, we've been given notice to leave after Christmas. And I've been looking now because I'd rather be out sooner rather than later. But feel sick to my stomach with the housing crisis and worried I might not get something.

Advertisement