Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trudeau's oil-pipeline policy.

• 02-09-2021 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to an article written by Ottawa-based journalist Charlie Mitchell and published in The Sunday Times (29 August 2021), many Canadians feel that prime minister Justin Trudeau didn't deliver after his 2015 electoral victory.

Trudeau preached environmentalism but spend four-and-a-half billion Canadian dollars (three billion euro) on an oil pipeline.

How is it that a democratically-elected left-wing government (especially one led by the apparently woke Trudeau) in a Western country can bring itself to preside over a policy of constructing an oil pipeline that, inevitably, would have a negative impact on the environment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Because people want to be able to heat thier home and use electronics

Liberal Party are left-wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I split time between Ireland and Canada, and the irony of trying to attack trudeau from the right for the pipeline that the right so desperately wanted is fecking hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

I never said what my political inclination is. I was simply raising a point regarding the inconsistency of his policy with not just his party's apparent political affiliation but also with his apologetic policy towards minorities and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A politician is inconsistent with respect to campaign messages versus policy? Are you really surprised by this?

Fianna Gael, when in Government backed up by Fianna Fail, signed Ireland up to the Paris Agreement. During the last program for government negotiations, the only ones who tried to bring anything to help the country meet the targets of that agreement were the Greens, and they simply got torn to shreds for doing so. There was even a thread on here lambasting them for having the nerve to talk about the environment with Covid going on.

Already someone on this thread has suggested consumer needs take precedence over any concerns about the environment, that is what politicians are dealing with despite knowing the reality of what is happening.

Everyone is able to look back and say 'they should have done this', what do you think should/could be done right now to help the environment without a politician likely getting kicked out of office at the next election for unpalatable policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not just about campaign messages. Trudeau's policy is out of sync with his apologetic attitude towards indigenous people.

Advertisement