Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury service register query

• 02-09-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

So it seems I've been called for jury service in October however the letter for this was sent to my parents home, which I haven't lived in for approximately 20 years. I've registered and voted multiple times in another county since so can anyone shed any light on how this has happened?

As a side note, I'd love to participate in the process but the court location is 60km from my current location so kind of bummed as it'd be a lot of travel just to be told to go home and come back tomorrow repeatedly if not selected early.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

Are you still on the electoral register at your parents' home? (in addition to your current address where you've been voting)

Edit: This link would suggest that you are still on the register there, as that's how jury members are selected

https://www.courts.ie/who-can-be-called-jury-service

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Well would you look at that, just checked the register and I'm still registered there lol. I just assumed that if you go and register to vote in another location (which I've definitely done lol) you simply switch. Never realised you could be registered in 2 locations at the same time! Seems a bit bizarre tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can be registered in as many constituencies as you have residences in.

You can only vote in one, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I just assumed that if you go and register to vote in another location (which I've definitely done lol) you simply switch.

That could only happen if you had to supply a unique id like your PPSN number when registering. It will probably happen if/when we get an electoral commission and voter registration is centralised. But as of now, each local authority manages it's own voter list.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Thanks for the clarification folks. Here's me assuming things were centralised.

As said, I'd love to do it but finding it a little hard to clarify what the process is so I can prep accordingly. From some threads I see that you're required to present each day for X amount of days until you're selected. Then you find out how long the case will be. For the first stage, is there a certain number of days you have to present for i.e a maximum if you keep getting passed up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I've also just received a jury summons.

I'm a self-employed sole trader.

Business has been bad for the last 18 months. (I've been on the PUP payment for much of that time.) But, I'm hopeful that things will pick up in the autumn.

If I was to commit to jury service, I would risk losing work and (worse) losing clients to competitors.

Any advice for people in my situation?

Any other self-employed care to share their experiences with jury service?

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd reply to the summons and say you live 60km away and a 120km walk every day is too much...

Advertisement