Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn’t start school at 4 and 9 months

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I feel sorry for the OP that this turned into such a weirdly intense discussion.

I think you know your child best and need to believe that you made the right decision, which you almost certainly did! Like others have said, I've never heard a parent express regret over sending their child to school later, but I've heard many regret sending them too soon.

Forget about it now. It sounds like you are doing a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

I probably would have spoke to the parents of his friends about it, as part of making that decision. And there are other factors of course, like the class size etc. Mine started at younger than your son, but their classes had 5 or 6 students in it, where they were not the youngest.

He has an adjustment either way, I don't think you can avoid it.

Either adjusting to starting school along with his friends, or adjusting to them all being gone and making a new set of friends. He will adjust, and he'll need to make another set of friends again shortly anyway, when you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

My daughter was 5 years and 3 months starting school and I was glad I waited until she was 5+. She's bright, could easily count to 200 before starting school, but I can see now that emotionally and socially she wouldn't have been ready. She is an only child, so didn't have the social skills that other kids with brothers and sisters would have. Emotionally, she is sensitive and in hindsight, that extra year could only do good for her. I think you made the right decision. Every child is different. You truly know best. The only reason you're doubting yourself is because he misses his friends. As parents, we need to make the decision that's in the best interest of our children in the longrun, rather than being blinded by short term guilt. Children are good at adapting. Trust your instincts. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

100% agree with this - every child is different. Plus you can't quote years at this stage you need to include the months also as 6 months at that age makes a massive difference.

My son was 4 years and 10 months starting and he got on great. My daughter next year will be 4 years and 9 months starting junior infants and I've no issues as she'd be bored in creche another year.

It's completely unique to each child and you should trust your instincts. from what i understand if you've in a 50/50 situation about sending them in it seems logical to hold them back and air on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I think it sounds like you've made the right decision for your little man. I have a January 2017 baby and decided to do a second ECCE year for him. He will start at 5y7m. I agonised over this decision for a long time but am glad now. All the other kids in his pre school have stayed for the second ECCE year too, and they were all born between Jan and March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know what it's like now a days and I also have no kids of my own to give advice but I started school at 4 years and 11 months. My birthday falls in September so was only 3 or so weeks till I turned 5 years old.

But you also mention your son doesn't have good English which is why the teacher would have thought he was not ready. It wouldn't be his age at all.

Advertisement