Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for teenager?

Options
  • 03-09-2021 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I’ve been asked to source a bike for a nephew. He’s 14, about 5’8. Budget is in and around 350-400. He’s not really into cycling so it’s something fun to encourage him a bit and see if he can be nudged in the right direction. Ideally would be able to grow with him from here so he could get a few years out it.

I’ve been having a look on the usual second hand sites but am struggling to find something suitable. I’m thinking a hybrid or no suspension mountain bike would be the way to go. At this price point though it all seems to be no name or Halfords own brands stuff which looks heavy and not the best quality.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I know little about mtb's but there does seem to be reasonable availability of entry level Trek MTB's and the like 2nd hand. Bikes that would've been 5 to 600 quid new and that you'd nab for 400 (lightly) used.

In terms of road bikes it's hard to get something for that money but they are out there. Specifically big sellers like Giant Defy's, and some of the Boardman road bikes (excellent bikes).

I did very well yesterday out of a want ad placed here and picked up a beautiful bike for that budget, so you could certainly give that a go, it might unearth something nice from a Boardsie shed.

If he's a fashion conscious run-with-the-crowd teeny (and aren't they all) he'll probably want an mtb like his mates. Lots of the kids in school here have Trek Marlin 5's or similar. Great looking bikes in fairness.

Advertisement