Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit

• 03-09-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Have an annual direct debit that does back to atleast 2016 - €102.21 - paying homeowners friendly society and no idea what its for. When I google homeowners they got bought by engage mutual who then became onefamily. I rang Onefamily who have no record of me and say they have no euro accounts (all sterling) - and speaking to my bank earlier they have no other info apart from a Barclays IBAN. I rang Barclays with this Iban but GDPR stops them telling me who owns that account!

I'm going to reverse the direct debit- but any other ideas on what this might be or how to find out who is getting the money or what it might be for?

Thanks!

Comments

Well, firstly, they're wrong to quote GDPR. GDPR protects personal data, not company data. But they're right not to discuss the company's account anyway.

I'm not clear on exactly what that company does, but it looks like they're some kind of financial service/advisor. Did you start/leave any employment that year that could be linked to life/health insurance/pension/income protection?

Make sure that as well as submitting a payback request on the direct debit you also cancel it. There's still a chance it could go through again next year if the originator has a legitimate direct debit mandate from you, so it's worth getting in touch with the bank again to see if there's a way to blacklist that creditor on your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭beachhead

Could it be an insurance policy on electrical equipment in your home-supplied by one of our friendly superstores? There is a company called homecare in uk,also here recently(5 yrs).Just 2 thoughts to wonder on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just did a bit of googling, looks like it could be some kind of savings account? Might be no harm to call the group who took it over and see if there is anything there.

What is a friendly society? Like credit unions, friendly societies have no shareholders and are owned by their members instead. Friendly society savings plans offer tax advantages for long-term investments. You can save up to £25 a month, or £270 a year if you pay the premiums once a year, into a friendly society investment, generally a with-profits fund. This fund grows largely free of tax. You choose how long you want to save for – the investment period tends to be between 10 and 25 years.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/life-insurance/friendly-society-life-insurance-policies-a8l3y0f7807u - Which?

Advertisement