Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tibialis Anterior (Shin Splints) - Recovery and Healing Advice Sought

Options
  • 03-09-2021 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have developed swelling and discomfort in the tibialis anterior while marathon training and as a symptom the discomfort occurs when the foot is in dorsiflexion (Toes pointed up or heal striking).

I am due to run in the Berlin Marathon in 3 - 4 weeks and I appreciate that it would not be healed 100% by then I am looking for advice on damage limitation.

In particular, from doing research I would like to know more in-depth about the healing process.

Using what is known as R.I.C.E. technique (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) and also Massaging to help with blood flow thru the troubled area my questions are:

Can I begin massaging straight away even if some swelling is present or do I have to wait.

Can I also use compression i.e. socks and calf sleeves also with swelling.

Does the swelling decrease over time or just after a few days.

Do I also have to wait to begin activation exercise on the tibialis anterior.

Research on this stuff although in agreement there is no reference to a timeframe of procedure.

some also say that you can run while in the healing process.

Any help really appreciated! To say I am distraught with this would be an understatement!

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

For what it's worth, I got a very tight tibialis anterior after running an ultra. It took me months to recover. My foot was actually dropping (dragging) when walking. Even got a private MRI on it: nothing.

It actually only got solved when I did very heavy foam (hard foam first, then lacrosse ball slowly but very hard) rolling after a short 5-mile run, full weight on and moving foot while doing so. I mean I went very very hard, almost unbearable. I did as hard as I could: the next day everything felt better after months of going nowhere.

This lady demonstrates well what I did: https://youtu.be/MQTRAdJvIQ4?t=73

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I think this video will help, thanks @echancrure

Advertisement