Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Only Sim cards

Options
  • 03-09-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would know the best value data only Sim cards (Bill pay preferably) for Tablets. I have 5 no tablets and need to have data working on them?

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's many offers on sim only data plans out there, ranging from €9.99 up to €30 pm.

Two things to watch out for.

Data Allowance, you'll see unlimited, or all you can eat but check fair usage policy, it can be 100gb up to 750gb. With 5 tablets, very difficult to monitor and if fair usage policy applies, you could get a nasty shock, bill wise if one or more users go over allowance.

Second thing is coverage. I hold little faith in coverage maps, obviously you'll need to be careful of more rural locations, Urban should be fine.

With 5 sims, you might also get a discount if you choose a business plan.

My best recommendation would be 3, I say this primarily based on coverage and allowance. Businesss plans are fully unlimited but consumer can have fair usage policy of 750gb (its honestly alot, just be aware of it) Do look at other companies but keep all of the above in mind.

Finally if your not pushed about a commitment for 12 months, 3 do a sim only for €20 pm per sim, you might get a deal if you choose a business option so ask. I know its 12 months but it's excellent value.

Yes, other networks might be cheaper and if your happy with coverage in the area sims are being used, eir do a €14.99 but again check the allowances.

Regards

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Thanks for the reply. I was talking to three but they are looking at charging full costs, €34.

I will contact Vodafone next and then eir .

I was sure that there was special sims with data only for tablets and iPads

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not sure we're €34 coming from, check 3"s website, it's under bill pay plans, sim only, there's no current sim plan costing €34 pm, their plans as advertised are inclusive of vat although some business plans ex vat.

There is definitely a €20 pm sim plan albeit a 12 month commitment.

But yes, talk to everyone

Re special sims specifically for tablet's, No its what the Sim is activated to do by a network provider that counts.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

Clear Mobile are doing a sim only deal until the end of this month. €12.99 per sim with unlimited data. (Calls and texts also but guess you don't care about that.)

They operate on the Vodafone network so coverage should be good.

https://clearmobile.ie/

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For low data usage at one location get an old mobile stick ONE gomo/48/other sim in it and share to tablets over wifi. Put phone in place with best signal and turn on data usage tracking on all devices.

There's only 3 physical networks. check for best signal https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ and ask friend to do speedtest at peak times to check contention , then check best offers YMMV a lot on the MVNO's

eir - gomo

vodafone - an post

three - o2 - 48, virgin and everyone else

• Advertisement
Advertisement