Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping the Tesco/grocery delivery person?

• 03-09-2021 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all. I always tip when getting takeaway delivered. I've got 2 online shopping deliveries recently for the first time. I tipped the first guy and he seemed surprised. The second guy I didn't tip and he didn't seem offended.

Anyone know the correct online shopping delivery decorum?

To tip or not to tip, that is the question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Completely agree the whole tipping thing is a nightmare, to tip or not, who to tip, how much etc. We always tip a food courier but dont tip AnPost, DHL or Fedex for online deliveries & I haven't heard of tipping Tesco drivers. Maybe its because a lot of food couriers are not permanent employees with all that entails.

I read somewhere that some people whose job is providing a service dont like the practice of tipping because it puts them in a position of subservience & 'doffing the cap'.

Workers should be paid properly, & relying on tips or the opinion of individual customers regarding job performance could be seen as degrading & a hangover from a previous time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Workers are paid (relatively) properly. We have a minimum wage here. The US, home of the tipping culture, has very low hourly rates for 'tipped' jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

I don't know if tesco drivers have the same rules as other tesco staff, but iirc they're not allowed to accept gifts from customers, I would imagine that applies to tips.

I've never tipped the tesco delivery driver.

I tip nobody any more unless they’ve had extra hardship getting something to me. Covid was great for breaking the takeaway driver tip curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Not quite. The gig economy is alive and well. Some drivers are not employees and are classed as self employed. It is just a scam to avoid paying proper wages. I know of a crowd paying 5.50 an hour then 2 euro a drop. On a quiet evening, she doesnt even get a tenner an hour. Then she takes out her petrol and whatever. But she is "self employed"

At present, there are ads running for a "delivery service" in Dublin. Looks great. Company van, ok wage, regular hours. Looks super. Small print says you are self employed, so no rights, holiday or sick pay, etc etc. All outsourced.

Here is one from jobalert.ie https://www.jobalert.ie/job/multi-drop-delivery-driver-prime-parcel

Another. https://www.jobalert.ie/job/multi-drop-delivery-driver-pruune-consulting-ltd-6

Multi Drop Delivery Driver

Prime ParcelRathcoole, Dublin€13 per hourFull-timePart-time

Please read the below carefully before appling

Prime Parcel is a new company with a delivery contract with the worlds largest online shopping platform. This is an exciting opportunity for motivated and customer orientated individuals to be a part of a growing team based in Rathcoole Dublin. Operating a fleet of 20-40 brand new vans* either full electric or the Mercedes Sprinter, you will be enjoying working with the latest tech and custom vehicles.

YOUR DAY:

• Morning meeting, van and route assignment
    • Loading the van
    • Start your day with 140-160 parcel drops per day
    • Communicating with base on your progress and any issues
    • Return to the hub and end of day assessment and feedback

WHAT WE OFFER:

• €13 per hour
    • All the required dispatch and route tech
    • Uniform
    • Constant support during your day
    • Full-time and part-time options**
    • Chance to progress to a lead role (€16/hr.)
    • Exceptional training

YOU SHOULD BE:

• Motivated
    • Reliable
    • Goal orientated
    • Customer focused
    • Team player

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:

• Full clean driver license (B class)
    • Clean Police record
    • No history of accidents in last 5 years
    • Right to live and work in Ireland without restriction

We are an equal opportunity employer and will welcome applications from individuals who are from all walks of life. Retired, Semi-retired, service men and woman, career changers, people affected by Covid job loss and especially woman.

*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL VANS REMAIN AT THE DEPOT AND ARE NOT PROVIDED FOR HOME TRAVEL

**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A SELF-EMPLOYED ROLE AND THAT YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN TAX RETURNS.

If you would like to join an exciting and rewarding company then simply fill in the online application form and we will be in touch with you very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Good points. Well made.

thanks. My friend is trying to keep her head above water and make ends meet. It is tough for her. There are a lot of these gig positions around and a lot of it is hidden. People like yourself dont realise it. I go out with her sometimes to help her and for security reasons. They dont even have insurance for food delivery. The amount of wackos she works with you would not believe. Drug addicts, illegal immigrants, the works. They are "off the grid" Some of them have zero english.

One guy was flying around with no NCT, insurance, jumping red lights, you name it, he did it. Then one day he got a call from his shop saying dont come in. Take the night off. He went in demanding to know where his hours were.

The cops were waiting for him, they had had enough. He walked straight into them. Whoops!

I posted about this a few days ago and mentioned about wackos and being off the grid. Here is one who was working South West Dublin. I am not going to say any more about this guy.

ttps://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-convicted-of-terrorism-financing-led-unremarkable-life-in-ireland-1.4675122

Advertisement