Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here had a breast reduction in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-09-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Amazingly my insurance will cover it because I meet all criteria, but I would love to chat to someone who has had it here.

Is there any recommended surgeon? What was it like? What was your size before and after?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 msbc

Hi can I ask if you got the surgery and who you went with? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

For some reason, I didn't get any notification of this reply.

Anyhow, I am in the process of investigating surgeons. It's pretty impossible to get breast reduction recommendations in Ireland, which is so frustrating. I saw a female surgeon but it seems like she wants to take a lot more away than I want and kept talking about making her patients "proportionate". I am a 34JJ and want to be a 34F, but she said she would take half to one third away. Half would probably get me to an F, but 2/3rds would be a D cup. A D cup was fine when I was an 8 stone teenager, but that won't work now with my size 12-14 figure and tummy. And a D cup on that size is pretty proportionate. I still want to be busty - just not enormous. When I was an F cup before I had no issues finding clothing, didn't have skin infections, or back problems etc. So I don't see why I can't be cut down to that size rather than a D cup.

So I am going to a male surgeon, Dr Niall McInerney in Galway as I have heard good things about him. I am also hoping that a male surgeon will understand more why I still want to be busty but not enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

One of my best friends went from a JJ to a DD. She lost further weight after it too as she no longer needed as big a body to support that chest. Won't recommend her surgeon as she started bleeding into her lung after being released from hospital. Breast reduction seems to be more generous than augmentation but having survived the complications my friend is so much happier and no back pain and exhaustion. She said she'd do it again but not in that hospital.

What do you mean when you say BR is more generous than augmentation? Can you pm me her surgeon so that I can avoid them? Since I am using health insurance I can really go anywhere.

Also, what do you mean when you say she no longer needed as big a body to support her chest? My frame is not big. I just have massive boobs. I seem to read about loads of ladies losing weight after BR though and I wonder why. Maybe they all take up running. :)

Typo, new boards means keyboard covers most of what you write. I meant more dangerous.

I have a couple of friends with h+ breasts and they've all put on weight in their 20s and 30s to help support their chests. The girl who had the reduction had 8lbs taken off her chest and she was very unwell after so that kick started her weight loss. She's now a 12 where she would have been an 18 or thereabouts.

Can't remember surgeon's name but it was in a Dublin private hospital.

• Advertisement

Did your friends deliberately put on weight? I honestly don't see how that would support one's bust, but maybe I am missing something. Sorry to hear about your friend. It really is a big surgery. I want to do it, but am scared of how big a deal it is.

I wouldn't say deliberately but at the same time it was easier for them, almost like they were more balanced.

I don't blame you being nervous, and you're right to take choosing a surgeon carefully. Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

I had it done in October 2021, best decision I ever made. I went from a 34GG to roughly DD. My surgeon (Siun Murphy Blackrock Clinic) explained it could take up to 18months for my breasts to settle (ie bra size). 34 DD fits me perfectly now.

She removed 1kg per breast which is huge. The recovery wasn't easy as I got an infection (nothing to do with the choice of surgeon). If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I overheard part of a conversation on the bus (wasn’t listening but the women were loud) about someone having breast reduction surgery and it has had me curious about why some women need it and others don’t.

I know a women who has had the surgery because of back pain and other reasons and I know another who is of the same height and build whose breast seem to be the same size that the other had but has back pain, does a lot of sports, etc.

I think a lot of it is to do with how big you are. I was a K cup before surgery which is really massive. A GG cup is way more manageable and while some can manage others cannot. Another issue is if the person has worn proper bras for most of their lives as these can prevent back issues. Finally, if a woman can do sports, that will help prevent back issues but the vicious circle is that many cannot do the sports that could help their backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Maybe the difference in the two women I mentioned is “proper bras”.

That answer will have to do I suppose. :)

I think it's more to do with earing proper bras your entire life (like I did) versus only getting correctly fitted in your 30s. That being said, the surgery has helped my back which is mad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Hi, I’ve an appointment with my GP g discuss the possibility of a reduction. Im a G cup and I hate them. I’m wondering about the criteria for getting the procedure done through my health insurance. Would you mind telling me about it?

It depends on your insurance. For VHI you have to have a BMI of 27 or under, have a bra size over 34 F, have back/neck/shoulder issues, and be on painkillers for said pain. The surgeon will ensure you meet all criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

I had a reduction a number of years ago - my surgeon was Cathriona Lawlor at Vincent’s private in dublin and she was amazing I’d highly recommend her. Best decision I’ve ever made I should have done it years ago. I paid privately as I wouldn’t meet the VHI criteria.

I spoke to my GP and thankfully she agreed with me regarding the reduction. I’m on painkillers for the neck and back pain. I’ve been referred to a surgeon and I’ve an appointment in October. To meet VHI criteria I must get my BMI down to at least 27.5 so that’s my goal for the next 2 months. I’m currently at 29 so 8kg should see me within range. It’s a huge task for a peri menopausal woman but I’m chipping away at it. I happened to have Joe Duffy on the radio yesterday and he was discussing how hard it is for women to get breast reductions via health insurance.

My surgeon was Catriona Lawlor too. The woman is like an artist. Highly recommend.

Advertisement