Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppercoat Antifouling

Options
  • 03-09-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used it?

Does it last as per the marketing?

Boat is based in poolbeg, on marina all year around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Yea had it on my macliner.i sold it last year it was on for 6 years without me having to do anything to the Hull.its good stuff no growth what so ever.my boat was in the harbour nearly all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Was this in salt or freshwater?

Did you apply it yourself as per normal antifoul or did you do any specific preperation / curing afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

It was saltwater.it was put on the boat when it was new so I'm not sure about how it was put on.

I'd imagine once the Hull is clean put it on and leave it a few days to cure.

Post edited by daveville30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

I (i.e. the yard) put coppercoat on my 31 foot sailboat new in 2008. I left the boat in the water most winters; probably 6 of the next 8 winters. Kept the boat both in Dun Laoghaire and Malahide. Lifted once a year, sometimes twice, and powerhosed whatever growth was there. I wasn't racing the boat so wasn't worried about light fouling. First few years were perfect. About year 7 I started to think about re-coating as it was needing a powerhose every 4 to 6 months.

Re-applied on a long sunny afternoon in 2017. For a boat the size of mine 3 people was a good number to have. Cost of the materials was (from memory) €900. They said that would do 2 coats - not a bit of it; one and a quarter. The advice online was to just use a scouring pad to key the surface. But I actually used a fine (120 grit) sandpaper with an eccentric sander to get the basecoat back from green to a dull copper colour. Maybe thats why the coverage was lower.

As of 2021 it looks like theres a good 2 or 3 years left in the existing coat but that said its been out of the water all of 2020.

Advertisement