Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solheim Cup 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Stupid rule, ball was never going in. But I would say by letter of law it was a correct call.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Must say, away from the call, some outrageous golf being played. Particularly putts

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Scrabbel

The outer edge of the ball was just inside the line of the cup. But quite doubtful that any part of the base of the ball was overhanging; we just don’t have a hi-def enough view to see that. But Sagstrom should never have rushed to pick up tge ball - made it look as if she thought there was a chance it might move. Korda obviously wasn't thinking that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Greetings at the end of that match were restrained

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure why Sky only seem willing to show 1 match per hour

• Advertisement

Was never going to go into the hole but technically correct

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Georgia Hall is quality. Wonder will we see them together again tomorrow, maybe in afternoon again?

Great days golf, think it was 6 out of 8 matches went to 18th.

Correction: it was 7 out of 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,021 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So proud of Leona, ice water in the veins. Great bit of matchplay all around today from Europe, put the American big guns in the back phóca all day. Let's hope the momentum keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Common sense should prevail and no ref make a call like that.

Not blaming the US players, but if thinking clear they might have called it an accepted gimme and the hole tied.

The ball had zero chance of dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The post match interview was awful though. Sagstrom talking about the abuse she got from the crowd for picking up the ball was horrible.

I never knew about that rule in matchplay myself. I'm pretty sure in matches if my opponents ball has died on the lip, I've been straight over to pick it up to concede the putt. You learn something new every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You don't know that for sure, it was very close. There's no excuse for not knowing the rule. As soon as I saw it I knew there would be trouble was a silly thing to do and has cost her team on the scoreboard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Played very well on her debut and made some great putts. That putt on 18 in the foursomes was real pressure.

I did think she seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the fourball so it will be interesting to see if she is rested this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

She was great in the foresomes in particular, a format that doesn't suit everyone, so I would be giving her the afternoon off and hopefully the leaderboard will be still ticking along nicely by then.

Draw for the morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The lads on sky comm were actually laughing and joking about it as it happened, how quick she was to step in to pick up the ball. "Ooh, she's not hanging about there, is she?" "You can have that one" etc.

I do feel sympathy for her. But letter of the law, as someone said earlier. She made a judgement about the situation that wasn't really hers to make and earned a very harsh lesson.

Thought she might get a rest in the morning but great she's out again. Another tough one, but all the pressure on the home pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ah come on. We do know for sure. That ball was never going in the hole. Look at the picture for god sake, you'd need to change the laws of physics for that to drop.

Regardless even if its only 1% chance, we've all seen putts stay on the lip and drop in. She only had to wait 3 more seconds. She obviously thought there was a chance why else would she rush in it was a very odd thing to do.

Tough lesson to learn. You really should never be touching an opponents ball in matchplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

In fairness, there was zero % chance of the ball going into the hole. Physics doesn't work like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

I agree that there was 0% chance of the ball dropping but 100% chance that she broke the rule. It was a tough break but whether or not the ball was ever going to fall was not going to get her off. It was judged to be overhanging the edge if the cup so she had to allow for that by waiting for 10 seconds.

There are many rules in golf where the punishment doesn’t fit the crime and this is just another.

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose an over zealous greenskeeper, looking to clear out the local gopher population could lace the course with dynamite and in that 3 second window that remained, he could have set off the explosions that would have rocked the course and triggered the ball to fall in the hole

That's absolutely it, 100%. You'd swear the way people are talking, sagstrom had broken no rule at all. Whether it might have dropped or not is incidental to that fact. Tough break, but that's the bottom line here.

They were on the clock so better to be keeping moving than flailing on the ground. No part of that ball was close to falling when it came to a full stop

Possibly but you cant just decide to break the rules because you're on the clock, 3 seconds isn't going to make much difference!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There was no intent to break the rules though. I dont even think they knew what the rules were. And it was obvious from the reactions of the American pairing at the time on the green that they didnt know either. The Europeans conceded the putt, the americans accepted it and then the referees stepped in.

There was no intent to break the rule, but a rule was broken. It should be shelved at this point

Anyway should give the Europeans an edge going into today no doubt they feel aggrieved.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This is a brilliant start from Maguire. Apart from missing fairway off the first, she's hit some fantastic shots since, particularly that fairway wood form the rough on the 2nd. Hopefully can keep this standard going.

And Nelly blades it from the bunker on 4! Not something you expect to see. Gonna be 3 up there in a minute or 2.

And 4 up after the par 3 5th, maguire great shot in and finished off by Reid

• Advertisement

A duff chip from Korda on the 9th, back to Europe 4 up. Nelly having a bit of a mare this morning, but she's being put under huge pressure by the sheer solidity of Leona and Reid.

Advertisement