Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for extending car insurance while abroad in EU

• 04-09-2021 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey, I moved to Spain and brought my car with me. I had hoped to transfer the registration to Spain by now but it's taking longer than expected to make it through the process.

My Irish car insurance cover that covers me while abroad in another EU country ran out last week. I'm having trouble with the company I use "its4women.ie" in extending the cover until the process has been completed.

Could anyone advise me on how I can extend cover while abroad until the process has finished? I don't understand how consumer protection works in this situation, is there any way I can extend cover considering the situation. I'm willing to pay or change provider.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Try a local provider maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stage01

Unfortunately they can't insure a car unless it has Spanish plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

From the little bit i know you will have to employ a person to transfer to Spanish plates.

I would go to these people and ask them to transfer immediately and i expect if this is on-going you may be able to buy Spanish insurance. I think insurance companies are limited to 90 days in one term.

Personally i would return the car to Ireland and sell as it be very difficult to sell there later on...

There are loads of brits doing what you say and i assume they did not tell insurance companies car lives in Spain...

Advertisement