Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as 'Smart dummy display' mobile phone in shops?

Options
  • 04-09-2021 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Well this is a new one on me. i went into harvey Norman store yesterday I said do you have this Samsung mobile phone? - no, he said its been discontinued and there are non left in stock . "would you be able to sell this working one on display i says' - "no, they are Dummy ones (like me , points to himself) - as soon as you take them out of the shop they shut down, stop working"

So, thats a new one on me - sounds fishy but I am prepared to believe anything these days because I dont claim to know everything .

anyone know the score on this? - True or BS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭leche solara

As far as I know the display phones in stores are dummies with no working parts so that if they were stolen it is not much of a loss to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭bmc58

Sounds believable ,with so much thieving going on in stores they have to protect themselves.And the word will soon go around that it's no use robbing display phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,213 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

With dummy phones you save as regards...

insurance premiums, security tags / gadgets, chargers, also those phones couldn’t really be resold.

i imagine the shop would a few thousand on their insurance bill by not having 4 grand plus worth of real, working phones on display...instead the actual products are under lock and key..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

these phones that were on display there were all lighting up , you could test camera and sound - certain things were disabled like it said there were 'no network' and had like samsung demo screens when the phone timed out instead of going blank and going to sleep

Advertisement