Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colonoscopy waiting list? Public

• 04-09-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I experienced some issues this summer which had me go to my GP. I got antibiotics for what I thought was a uti. Then the same symptoms appeared again with pain and cramps in my side along with fever. She referred me for a colonoscopy for an investigation.

I'm a public patient. Does anyone know what the wait list is like? I suspect I won't be seen til after Christmas and I don't mind waiting for about 5 to 8 months but anything beyond will be ridiculous.

My GP thinks I have gut inflammation and an infection in the gut. She recommended high fibre. The second course of antibiotics has so far worked for me but it's a waiting game to see if another flare happens.

Would abdominal pain and cramp accompanied with fever be considered urgent?

I don't have a medical card or health insurance. Any idea what sort of a cost I will be looking at for the colonoscopy?

Also I was never sick before expect for mild issues like colds. I never needed hospital treatment before. What is the protocol? What happens after a GP referral? Will I be sent a letter just for an appointment and to see a consultant before any procedure happens or will I get a letter in the mail with a colonoscopy appointment. I don't know how hospital referrals work.

From I read about colonoscopies online, I'm not overly nervous about the procedure itself however there is some prepping to do for the day beforehand along with a fast day except for clear fluids.

Any help or guidance would be great. Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

First thing is not to over worry, your GP is by all accounts supportive and treating you accordingly with antibiotics etc and made the referral out of an abundance of caution.

Whilst I'm sure your aware there are enormous waiting lists, some specialties are getting priority, I'd be reasonably confident you will get your appointment quite soon. The symptoms you mention do seem to suggest an infection (Fever) but I'm no medical expert.

The procedure and results, will determine if a referral to a consultant is required, results will be shared with your GP and before procedure it's likely you will meet a Registrar (SHO) to go through the procedure etc.

Costs are hard to gauge, my understanding is you will likely be charged the standard €100 fee for a hospital visit, I cant be sure but I don't believe you'll be charged for the actual procedure based on referral from GP, Others may have more knowledge of this.

I have a full Medical card (due to a long term illness), depending on your circumstances, income etc you could consider applying but it is means tested.

In the mean time watch your diet, try not worry to much and I'd be confident you'll get the procedure well before Christmas. Once your in the hospital system, it gets easier, it's entering it that's the complicated part.

Best wishes 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

If you are paying for it, you won't have to wait as long. I think, anyway. It's not a nice procedure but it's important to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

Thank you for your lovely reply. I know some people might jump to the worst possible scenario like a cancer. I'm relaxed about it all. I'm being sent to investigate the GI issues I am having.

My OK right now. I'm following the doctors advice on fibre and drinking plenty of fluids. It's still new and still only suspected but I identified some possible triggers and I'm avoiding the possible triggers like seeds in foods.

My partner would like to book a holiday for next year but I am apprehensive until I know what I'm facing with my tummy issues. My GP gave me a hint as to what I could be dealing with but we don't know yet til the colonoscopy is done. I had pain over the colon and she thinks I might have a condition that causes inflammation and sometimes infections in the gut. I joined a Facebook to learn more and if its not managed, it can turn into a sepsis situation quickly. Needless to say I'm apprehensive of booking any holiday. It's far from my mind right now. Hopefully I will be seen this side of a Christmas.

Your more than welcome, it can be some times difficult to choose the right response to a sensitive query, getting the right balance and perspective is important.

I fully understand your partner wishing to arrange a holiday etc and I think that's a possibly positive thing to look forward too albeit I understand your apprehension, but it is important to have something good to look forward to.

I myself have a Thyroid Disease, and like yourself went through so much uncertainty and symptoms not easily explained or understood by others. Whatever it turns out to be, know there's amazing support groups out there, at 54 I've certainly had a learning curve over the past 4 years and thankfully have an amazing GP and Endocrinologist.

So chin up, you'll get a better understanding soon, Diet in your situation very very important but also thinking positively.

Take care 🙂

It's been years since I was sick. I'm doing my best to keep positive and most of the time I am positive but there was a time over the weekend when I was hit with a wave of upset. Its been years since I was sick and now life is leaving me with the possibility of a chronic gut disease in my path. I don't have time to be sick. Stress doesn't help. Im trying my best not get to down.

A holiday would be nice but stress doesn't help the suspected condition I have. I don't get on very well in airports and then there would be my health at the back of my mind too like if I experience a flare while away or if I get sick abroad. I don't feel like a holiday right now. I need to know what's in front of me with my health first. I might change my mind in later on.

• Advertisement

I will be going public and not private. I don't have a medical card or health insurance so I will have to pay what they charge me. It would be sweet to be boosted up the list.

My mom heard about Sarah Harding dying. It sent her into an absolute panic with the colonoscopy I was referred for and she literally diagnosed bowel cancer in me this morning. Needless to say I don't need any of that ridiculous panic from my mom. She is urging me to go private but I don't have the funds to go private. She offered to give me a loan but I don't feel great taking a loan from her. I'm apprehensive about spending so much on a procedure incase there's anything found that may lead me into a surgery. I won't have money for a private scope and for surgery. I'm apprehensive spending money on a private scope incase I need to pay to see other consultants and in case I need daily medications to manage a condition.

I was happily eating breakfast this morning and my mother diagnosed bowel cancer in me. I really don't need that right now. I'm a wait and see type of person. If I experience any more symptoms or experience another flare, I could consider private but I don't feel it's necessary at this point.

Mums will be mums 😏 but honestly I do feel you'll get seen too quite soon, also if you went private, apart from the expense, you'd still be looking a minimum of 2 months just to see a consultant and then whatever amount of time for the procedure. People sometimes thing private means next day appointments, there's also a back log in private practice.

I would hold off, your GP has gone through everything, they are confident in the process and as I've mentioned, the procedure your getting is getting priority. Finally and only a pointer, based on the procedure you have discussed, its an entirely different matter re what Sarah Harding had but I know mum obviously concerned. Apart from Diet, Positivity always avoid Dr Google looking for answers, last time I checked, Dr Google not qualified.

So chin up, eat well, it won't be long 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it flares up again get a letter from your Dr and go to A&E for investigation.

It was just my mom completely over reacting. It came out of nowhere. I'm in a good place right after the antibiotics and things have settled. So there hasn't been a flare since I finished the antibiotics. If I was very sick or sore or crippled in pain I would understand my mom's concern to get seen quickly. It was the death of Sarah Harding that spurred my mom into a panic thinking I have bowel cancer. Her panic was all over breakfast and in the end I had go to work without any food in my belly.

She never went private and she thinks if I go down the private route I will be seen to within 2 weeks.

I'm happy with my GP and I am confident in the process. If I experience any more issues and if it's bad, my GP will send me into A&E no doubt.

• Advertisement

That's right. If I experience another flare and if its bad my GP will send me to A&E. I'm happy with my GP. She is so good and the team of GPS in the local practice are all very good. Im confident in the process. Im also relaxed and calm right now. I put the procedure to the back of my mind for now and I'm looking after myself well.

Your on the right path so stay the course and yes Mum of course will be anxious and worried ,that only natural, but do chat with her. I'd also gently explain private not quite as fast as she may think. From my own experience, I heard dreadful things about our health system and I'll admit it's not perfect but once your in it, it gets easier and the care genuinely excellent. In time, depending on results, diagnosis etc (and hopefully it will be positive and managable, you can explore medical card and additional services etc. I now have a full medical card and immensely greatful to have it for Meds, GP and consultant clinics etc.

Night night 😏

I haven't heard from the hospital yet. I was hoping for an appointment this side of Christmas but that's looking unlikely imo. I presume I will be given a few weeks notice. I haven't heard from the hospital yet and next week will be the 1st of November. My schedule is looking intense for the month of February and if I'm called for February and I am afraid I may not be able to attend but I don't want to neglect my health either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Depending where you are in the country, the public wait list can be up to a year or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,083 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i was waiting well over a year before getting mine on the public list, but was eventually moved to private hospital, largely due to family history, that was a couple of years ago, i suspect things havent changed much since, in regards waiting times on public list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

If you have gut inflammation please research into prolong fasting routine. And research into sugar/fructose and process food vs gut inflammation. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Best of luck OP, I have Ulcerative colitis and have to get these every couple of years.

My advice, take whatever sedation is on offer, i've had it with and without and without was not pleasant. For the stuff before which you have to drink, if it's the one that you drink by the gallon i'd suggest flavouring with the likes of Miwadi orange to make it more palatable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I've had the colonoscopy done this year, took 4 months to get called in.

Last year had it done too, took 5 months.

I stayed awake for it so the only prep was an enema 1 hour before it, done in the hospital. Wasn't bad at all as I took it easy on the food the day before.

Procedure itself was grand, gets a bit uncomfortable when they put a bit of air Into your colon but it's not painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Lena11

My Partner had a GP referal in 2019. He was initally referred Public but then decided to go Private. Got private appointment in 1.5 weeks. He was notified 8 months later of Public appointment (~9 month wait from referal to appointment date) which he rang to cancel. I'm not sure if due to covid waiting times have increased in both public and private.

Advertisement