Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls from mobile numbers like your own

Options
  • 04-09-2021 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure if there's a dedicated forum for scam alerts

Recently I've been getting a few phone calls from Irish mobile numbers. I haven't answered them as I tend not to answer unknown numbers

They left a voicemail which didn't say anything so I was starting to think it was some scam caller and didn't ring back

I noticed that the phone number was very similar to my own, only the last 3 digits were different. Over the next 2-3 days I got several more calls, from different numbers each time but again very similar to my own, only the last 3-4 digits were different

I didn't answer any of them and they seem to have stopped for now. I'm guessing it's some scam caller who'll try to get my bank details or the usual nonsense

I guess they're using numbers similar to mine in some effort to trick me because I'll recognise the number and think it's someone I know. Or else they're just randomly dialling any numbers similar to the ones the scammers have to see if they get any hits

Anyway, just wanted to let people know to watch out for these callers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's a long running thread on this already.

Advertisement