Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR changed my price plan for FTTH BUT GAVE NO WARNING - HOW TO CONTACT AND WILL A DOWNGRADE FROM 1G

Options
  • 05-09-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

I have had EIR FTTH to home ie broadband only, called Fibre Extreme 1000mb since its inception and only 2 outs in 6 years is not bad but price has risen and now I feel aggrieved for getting no advance warning of latest increase and to be honest I do less work now but if I change to the 300mb package will I see a dramatic reduction in speed? Will EIR make it ropey?

How do I get them to change to lower package as contacting EIR can be a nightmare?

Also I was under the impression that the package I was on was exempt from price increase.

The price has gone from €75 to €82.98.

They have offers for €49.99 for 24 months and then €85.99 and that includes landline!!!

I am too scared to switch to vodafone, dont have sky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

I switched to PureTelecom for 40 euros a month for the 1GB FTTH, I think it's the exact same network as EIR. When I do speedtests it says it's EIR.

Switching over is a breeze. Just call them https://www.puretelecom.ie/how-to-switch and they will do everything for you

I was going to downgrade to the 300Mbps package myself as I think for most people you'll never use the full 1GBps anyway. I'm only getting 200-300Mbps on Wifi for most of my devices and it's plenty. Even out of that I don't think you'd use a fraction of it.

I also had Vodafone FTTH and apart from a bad spell of about a month last year when there was some capacity issues with their network, I found them excellent also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

Well just goes to show I'm living in a bubble, never heard of them. I use an ASUS router so would that still apply with Pure. I clicked link but no prices!! Why did you leave VF? EIR have good prices for newbies.

I've an Asus RT-AC68U and it works fine with them. Actually EIR and Pure has the same default gateway 192.168.1.254 so didn't have to change anything on the router. Left Vodafone cause the price jumped from 50 euros to 75 euros after 12 months, need to switch every 12 months unfortunately as the price goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

FYI I have signed up to VF 500mb for €25 per month including phone. Got a extra €5 off for having mobile phone with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Is that definitely true that Puretelecom will arrange the switch over from Eir? I know in the past that wasn't the case - Eir was always the exception in that you had to contact them to cancel - which of course was virtually impossible!

I had a few bookmarks saved as I was very worried with all the stories about cancelling Eir, including comreg procedure for making a complaint, etc. In the end the switch was painless. I've done it through bonkers twice without issues from EIR-VOD-PureTelecom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I would Call them and contact cancellation team , I am pretty sure they offer you deal of €50 or better.

As for the Pure , they using 2 networks ( EIR and BT Ireland) and there's no way to find out which one you'd get prior the order.

Ringing EIR now 25 min wait time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

This is huge improvement,glad to hear this, took me about 45-60 min last year, but at the end I've got the good deal from the cancellation team .

• Advertisement

Got in at 35 mins and got a deal of 53 a month for 24 month. To cancel would entail sending router back etc and as it took so long to contact them I caved in. I need to ring next time and get a deal as well.

Advertisement