Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning saw recommendations and advice on pruning a plum tree.

Options
  • 05-09-2021 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

We have a plum tree which borders our garden and our neighbour's garden.

Last year, we had a bumper crop - enough for most of our neighbours to make plum crumble!

This year's crop was poor. No idea why.

The tree is now a bit to big for its location, so we would like to cut it back to about 2-3 meters high.

Any advice on pruning? (I'm not too concerned about affecting next year's crop - it's more of a size issue)

Any advice on pruning saws?

Many thanks!

D.

Comments

Hard to beat Fiskar's tools, the smaller pruning saw should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fruit crops, and I think especially plums, can vary from year to year for numerous reasons, not necessarily a problem with the tree.

As to pruning, its getting a bit late in the year to prune prunus trees, plum is a prunus. They are susceptible to silver leaf disease which is less likely to occur if cuts are made in spring, around April, when the sap is moving and the cuts are more likely to heal than in winter.

What kind of pruning saw? I have a Silky Zubat which was a combined gift from a couple of people in the family, lovely saw but expensive. There is a good argument for buying a cheaper one and replacing it when it is done - if you might leave it out and forget about it then the cheaper option might suit better. If you will get good use from it then go for something better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a damson tree which is getting too big for its boots and i have to do something similar with it - most of the fruit is out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Prune them shortly after you see small fruit on them. May or June.

Be prepared to lose most of fruit if pruning is severe.

After it is under control prune it every year at the same time to keep it to size. You will remove some fruit but will have plenty left. You shouldn't need a saw for annual pruning.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

If you are cutting it back to 3 metres then It sounds like it is a substantial tree - be careful - 3 metres is a fair height and branches are heavy.

If you are doing it, I think pruning saws will struggle. Have a look in hardware shops for a small Bushman type saw. Did I say be careful ? It's more difficult than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 onrskry

I can recommend an electric saw that I use myself, it is not very expensive and works without any problems, you can try and research it.

You can check the name of Ryobi Chainsaw here: https://powertools-pro.com/ryobi-chainsaw-chainreviews-and-parts-2021/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a chainsaw, not a pruning saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use a Silky & wouldn't use anything else. Yes they aren't cheap but mine is 4 years old, does a lot of work & is still razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think my Silky is as sharp as it was, I've had it about 3 - 4 years also. They can't be sharpened, though even as it is it is still better than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a Felco the other day. Secateurs are superb, so I'm hoping their pruning saw is as good.

Not expensive at €25.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They can be sharpened - lots of instructions online. But it's quite tricky. Also replacement blades are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

biennial or alternate bearings quite common in fruit tress especially plums , my victoria plum and greengage has finally started bearing fruit after ten years so hoping to be inundated next year :)

i use felco pruning saw and secateurs

Advertisement