Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions ABC

• 05-09-2021 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello there, apologies if there is a similar recent thread but I couldn't see it and wd be grateful if you could point me to it if there is one....

Moved back from the US last year, have private pension set up there and need to do the same here. Can anyone advise me what are the best options (websites, firms, brokers) to look at? I don't even know where to begin quite honestly, it's relatively simple in the US what with Fidelity and Vanguard (though of course there are other options). I'm a single, self-employed translator on a middling income with one child, if that makes any difference.

Appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Go pay to see a financial planner!! Cost may be a few hundred but worth it for the impartial advice. Banks etc. Will just sell you their own products.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

Thanks berocca, any idea how I can find a good one short of word of mouth (and I don't have any of that, I've asked friends and acquaintances but nowt)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 martin18

Jaysus but I just looked at one website and they are charging 3k plus VAT for a full financial plan, $250 an hour for project work, 0.5% commission. I'm really don't think I'm in that league honestly. Maybe that's just one for the 1% would it be? What would be a typical kind of fee structure can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

That's very expensive, should only be a couple of hundred. Like you're not looking for a private banker. Just Google financial advice in whatever area you live, check the reviews if good book an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My suggestions are as follows

(1) establish your status in the State pension / SI contributions

(2) as you are self-employed, start a low-cost PRSA

There are several execution-only brokers, if you don't want any advice, for example:

www.labrokers.ie

www.prsa.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement