Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CI license upgrade

Options
  • 05-09-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Howdy.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your CO license.

I've currently got a leisure license and plan to do a grassroots race soon. I know I'll have to get a ODL, (does anyone know how much ODL is) or would it be easier/better to upgrade to a competitive license on the off chance I'll do another one or two races.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Open to correction on this, but this is how I remember it when I looked into before covid disrupted everything.

The one day licences are a tenner. But if the likes of gravity enduro were running their normal format you'd need a license for both practice and race day so €20. So if you plan on doing a few races its definitely worth upgrading the licence.

But as far as I remember the licence runs from January to January so at the this stage of the year it could be a waste of money depending on how many events you have left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

As above. Jan to Jan so you'd be hard pushed to get value from a CI upgrade at this time of the year unless you were looking at squeezing in a lot of events.

Re Gravity, they were cheekily charging €20 for a 1-day ODL at the recent Djouce event - covid-format with no practice day. I'm without a full comp CI licence this year for probably the first time in a decade and that ODL price was one of the straws that made me not bother signing up to it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Do you have a limited competition license? Afaik off road events are covered by that.

A Limited Competition (LC) licence allows you to compete in all domestic competitions, except open road races. 

This licence would cover you for events in disciplines such as:

• Track, BMX, Off-Road, Time-Trials, Hill-Climbs, Club Racing and Club Leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Nope, nothing at all this year. Didn't see see myself taking part in any sort of meaningful amount of road races, plus is irks me that at a time when so little took place over the last 18 months that the CI full comp licence increased in price this year. I know that was by mandate of a vote at the AGM. Still doesn't make sense. Didn't join the club either this year so there was no need for a LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Makes a lot of sense for sure.

I doubt I’ll get a full comp license again any time soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks for the the replies.

No only took out a leisure license, as I only took up mountain biking this year, and hadn't any plans to do any events. Local one coming up so a few lads got around me to enter it.

I've entered it now and paid €10 ODL, this time around. Haven't any real plans to enter another one, but you never know what will happen if I survive this one.

Probably get the limited one next year, that should cover me, as I certainly won't be doing any open road race.

Advertisement