Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its a new entry in to the list of crimes I see as needing the death penalty, ideally a public hanging for anyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Had a phone call from the bank a couple of years ago asking me for personal information... I wouldn't give it to them because I didn't know if it was a genuine call or not. Turns out it was genuine and was asked to ring AIB customer service number instead. The poor fella on the other line, but they must get it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well cold calling and then asking for personal information is bad form so it's on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Facebook was hacked in 2019 and the database was available on the dark web since. The database became public in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there a way to block 038 numbers on Android 11

I can see when u go into block numbers it just says add phone number ?

• Advertisement

Truecaller should be able to do this

M

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭maureencol

I'm in the US and was getting car warranty calls. I have a landline that I don't answer and my answer machine says, we do not answer this line, please leave a message and we will call you back ... unless you are telemarketers. They usually hang up before it finishes. I use this number on all applications etc. But I have started to get the car warranty calls on my mobile. They have pretty much stopped now and I think its because I put on an old persons voice and keep them on the phone as long as possible telling them about my children and grandchildren and finally tell them I have a 1998 Ford...they hang up immediately (much too old to qualify LOL) I made a personal best last time ... 10 minutes of their time and spoke to 2 different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From 9:50 - Indian scammer gets locked out of his pc (some bad language from the scammer)

M

On Prime Time now, sounds like one of the fools I strung along for 10 minutes last week.

• Advertisement
    M

Comreg advising not to answer calls, it's a phone, how useful a device it will be not answering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Comreg is a scam right?

They fit many of the criteria

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would they have to steal numbers.

They know that all Irish mobiles are +353 8X XXXXXXX.

So they just need a generator to create numbers to fit that format. Numbers are numbers and don't need to be stolen. They have no idea who they are calling.

Also,people's obsession with getting the numbers blocked resulting in people not answering calls from legitimate people puzzles me. Blocking a number after a call achieves nothing as you're unlikely to be called or texted by the same number again and secondly you can't get scammed/hacked by simply answering a call. Answer the call and see what it is and if suspicious then hang up. Simple.

They have no idea who they are calling.

Usually they don't but sometimes they do, so be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Had one of these calls the other day. I was in the mood for a fight so i picked up.

Ended up trading insults with yer wan for a while then I asked: I'm curious, is this your actual job? Seems this woke up something in the guy and he said yes, that he was too poor so he took it and the alternative was to beg, he then started apologising!

Ah, good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I spent 45 minutes last week giving a guy from "Vodafone" the run around. It was a good bit of fun! Between my internet running slow, not being able to locate and download apps, not knowing or being able to locate my IP address or mobile number, I had him totally frustrated. He wanted ne to download AnyDesk and when I expressed doubts about this, he said there were two versions, one for scammers and one for legit people like Vodafone! In the end I got bored and told him I was a nurse and had to go back to work - that I had patients waiting for me! He was frantic trying to keep me on the call.

It was time well spent - might have saved a couple of other people being scammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

I often wonder, by doing this, is your number put on a black list to never call again? :-)

Well funnily enough I have had no calls since which is good. We had calls several times a day before that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Referee's whistle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Answered one yesterday

Me - "Hello"

Scammer - "HELLO, CALL ME BACK" *hangs up*.

Theyre a bit of fun, had one on for ages a few weeks ago. He was "From Vodafone, the mother of all the Ireland internet, I want to fix your broadband" trying to get access to my PC. Gave him the runaround for 30 minutes. If you have the time, its great to waste theirs.

Have the same guy on the phone to me as last week - 30 minutes now. Wanted me to download Teamviewer and then AnyDesk. From Vodafone mar dhea. My laptop is giving me "terrible" problems so now he wants me to use my mobile to download the same thing. Wonder will I break my 45 minute record?

They stopped ringing after being blocked twice on the app

Got 50 minutes out of three of them - told them I had to go and to ring back at 2. At which point I'll tell them they're a bunch of scammers and criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Excellent work. Yeah they seem to be leading with Vodafone alright.

I see they're spoofing Garda station numbers

Looked up the number and it's a Garda station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I e had a few variations in the last few weeks.

The crypto scam, had ages of fun with one lad before he got sick of it.

The Internet line disconnected , confused the scammer when I told them I am behind a carrier grade NAT so my ip address cannot be used by malicious persons.

Pps scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm getting an 045 number calling about my internet being compromised, ending etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I've managed to avoid these so far but my other half got one last week and I answered the phone as she was getting ready to go out , was your usual if you want to keep your membership you need to go into this part of your phone and give me information etc...I kept them on the line for a few minutes playing stupid to see how they were looking to do it then told them the company they are claiming to be is actually the company I work for and I know exactly what procedures are and aren't involved in cancelling accounts or contacting customers - amazingly they still tried to keep going ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭I am me123

Anyone still getting scam calls?

I got a call a few days ago from an 084 number. I didn't answer the call.

Does this sound like a scam call number?

Advertisement