Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone rent with pets?

• 06-09-2021 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I know some landlords allow pets and some don't. But is anyone renting where the add specifically said no pets? And you persuaded your landlord or letting agency to allow pets?

Just wondering what I can do or say to find a place that will allow me to keep my cat?

Comments

You can forget convincing a letting agency. They will have a strict policy in place.

You could try convincing a private landlord, and ensure to them, that the place will be in the same condition when you leave.

Or, if the ad doesn't specifically say no pets, just say nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

I am a landlord and allow pets. Apologies, nothing is available to let to you as I already have excellent long term dog & cat owning tenants. As a private landlord, for convenience (which serves both parties well) I let through an agency, but I am the one who has the say. A proper agency will operate on the instructions of the landlord, and an agent, if employed, is the landlord’s choice. An agent does not have the right to make up their own policies. The clue is in the word “agent”.

I empathise with animal lovers and I have also found that my continental European tenants chose my property because of my pet permission. Where they come from, pet ownership and apartment living is a normal part of city life. They take excellent care of their pets and of my property.

I would understand that a lot of pet owners live quite stable lives and the added wear and tear from pets is counterbalanced by the lengths owners will go to otherwise respect the home they have found. My advice would be to discuss pet ownership with private landlords. Certain estates have rules whereby pet ownership is either prohibited or discouraged. We have a poor pet culture in Ireland for renters. But there are exceptions, and the upmarket estate of apartments and houses where I live myself explicitly provides for dog owners and many dogs can be seen happily barking from the balconies and not bothering anyone as the sound-proofing within is decent. Sniff around for the estates where there a pet culture as some landlords also live on the estates where they let and would be of a mind to allow pets.

Post edited by ghoulfinger on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks for your reply. As you say, you use an agency, so is worth asking them? Seems to be a big no from agencies. I have done a search here on boards and someone else said that the agency said no but the landlord was fine with pets.

So I don't know what to do because alot of places seems to be let by agencies now.

As regard individual private landlords like myself, I am the boss, my agency does as I say and not the other way around. I pay the piper. I tell them I allow pets, they tell my prospective clients i allow pets. That is their remit to me. I am quite sure I am in a class of landlord of which there may not be that very many, but they sure do exist. So in that context alone it may be worth enquiring of agencies if there are any clients on their books who may permit pets. I believe my let was sourced by such an enquiry to my agent. Look at the mainstream agents which have proper offices, not lone operators. They may have better data set-ups which flag pets permitted.

For a landlord to be agreeable to housing pets, two things must be in place.

1) the estate in which the apartment is located must not have in the house rules that pets are forbidden.

2) the landlord themselves must be agreeable.

Bear in mind re “sneaking in” a pet, premises are subject to inspection toon by landlord/agent at a time pre-arranged and agreeable to both parties. During such an inspection evidence of pet occupancy may be manifest, and if it is in breach of the agreement, a landlord may require the tenant of pet to be re-homed, as it were. Also if added pet damage becomes evident at the end of a tenancy which is in breach of an agreement, the deposit is justifiably st risk. These are just watch-points for anybody considering moving a pet into an apartment without permission, although personally I don’t like the anti-pet culture in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I put an ad up on local Facebook buy and sell pages. Within a few days I had five offers from land lords that were willing to rent to me and my dog. One was all carpets, another across the road from a car park that had boy racers at the weekend, one was very small and one was more expensive than my budget, the remaining one I’ve lived in since March. I now have no pets but am considering getting another pet. A new dog maybe is not suitable to my current situation but I haven’t ruled out a pair of kittens or some species of small mammal. My landlord has been actively encouraging me to get another pet. I’m a good tenant and she’s afraid I’ll move out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That's lovely. So there's hope in finding a place that will accept pets. My cat is all I have, so I can't part with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I'm living in a city 15 min walk from a college and with close access to buses for city centre workers or factory workers going the opposite direction, so it's a place where landlords can be picky.

My girlfriend and I rented a house with a German Shepherd and have since added a second one with the landlords consent. I agreed to pay double deposit (he returned half after a year) and pay an extra €150 a month. In the five years living there he hasn't once increased the rent despite houses jumping from €1250 to €1800 so that's great.

I'd imagine cats would be less hassle than a large dog so you will find someplace but it will just take a little longer.

Post edited by micah537 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

From the landlords point of view I'd assume they just don't want the place destroyed rather than some dislike of animals :)

You might want to get some scratching posts or something to stop the cat ripping the furniture when trying to sharpen his claws

Other than that really cats don't do much damage to an apartment so you could probably convince someone.

As a landlord I really like people like yourselves who are so invested in your beloved pets that I know you are more than likely to live with such stability that my property will overall be well respected. Pet owners know they have more limited options, so they will often go the extra mile to ensure the home is taken due care of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

When i needed to rent with my 3 dogs i went to an estate agent and asked if they had any houses that were not advertised and who would be open to asking if i could have my dogs. i got a house now it was not a high standard house but once i asked the landlord about the dogs and gave a good reference they were fine. Sometimes it takes only a conversation and a cat is not as damaging as a dog they tend to be more docile. Worth a try always they can have a few unlisted houses that are maybe a little rough in decor etc but once you move in and make your nest wth your pet you dont notice much.

Advertisement