Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to Recruitment Agencies On Spec - a good or bad idea?

Options
  • 07-09-2021 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm an experienced Data Analyst. I'm considering sending my CV with a cover letter about what sort of work I am looking for and what I can offer a potential employer to selection of recruitment agencies that recruit data people.

Does this look lazy or unfocused to a recruiter instead of trawling through open vacancies on their site or on the job search sites?

Thanks for your perspective, in advance.

Column

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I doubt it will make much difference... your CV will be scanned and put on a database, if you come on one of their searches and you look like a potential candidate they'll contact you. I wouldn't have any expectations beyond that.

Definitely worth doing, but agree with the previous poster. Spend time making sure that the CV is full of relevant buzzwords that will be picked up in any searches. That’s more important than any cover letter. The whole process will be driven by the data rather than a human element (which is brutal for jubhunters but that’s the way it is these days). Don’t expect any recruiter to work to help you on a human level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

no harm in doing it, but would expect that it won't be much help unless you have a rare and specific talent that they find difficult to find. cover letter isn't worth the paper its written on. most of them get ignored.

Set up a linkedin account

Set up an email just for job hunting

apply to every job you have any interest in and follow up with a phonecall to the recruiter.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

Thanks guys.

It is just data driven at the moment - you're dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

• Advertisement
Advertisement