Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

The problem stems from a lot of people turning up very late all together .thinking they are the only ones flying out...idiots ..ive always turned up 3 hours before flight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nothing normal about it.

I've travelled through Dublin myself and haven't had to queue down the ramp outside thankfully. Longest so far luckily I've faced is 40 mins for security.

Flying again next Friday morning at 6 so let's see what a bank holiday Friday is like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A 40 minute queue is still ridiculous. If that's a good day, the airport is in ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Whether you’re long haul or short haul you’re in the same queue, so him saying is an attempt at spin and nothing else.

Yup it's still not great at all. Before covid max was about 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Good Luck. If with Ryanair book fast track,

I remember coming through the airport in 2002/2003 - it was like Bombay. Lots of media attention back then. There was change after that and it did improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

14€ per hour is open to corruption to make extra bobs. Don't tell me that none would consider it. And with due respect, the calibre of someone working a highly stressed job like that, not alone dealing with security threats but also difficult or stupid passenger for 14€ is open to question. There are plenty of jobs out there for a similar wage that do not involve national and airline security. DAA is off its head at the moment and the sooner they are hauled in front of the Transport Committee the better.

I think it would be easier to take the train to Limerick and a taxi to Shannon for a much more pleasant journey. Certainly no time disadvantages to doing that at the moment anyway. Depends on your destination I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Lots of plane issues though, or else I’m just unlucky at the moment (except for today’s flight). Was flying London to Germany last week. A 1.45 hour flight.

Flight was delayed for boarding by about 30 mins.

Got going to the runway and sat there for a while. Eventually there was an announcement that there was a technical issue which couldn’t be resolved, and so back to the hanger we went.

About an 1.5 hours later, there was an announcement that electricians had fixed the fault - whatever it was - and they just had to complete the paperwork and we’d be off. Like, couldn’t the paperwork be worked on in conjunction.

Another half hour and we were off. The airline staff were practically throwing packets of crisps and orange juice at us - which was nice. Wasn’t their fault, but some people were giving them dogs’ abuse.

I fell asleep during the flight and woke up as we landed. Was writing a message to my bf that we were there, and then another announcement came through. We were in the wrong fking city!! This was due to bad weather in our original destination but fk me. It was a perfect end to a perfect flight.

Sat on the plane for another two hours plus. Loads more crisps and orange juice, and, in fairness, a good few announcements that they were trying to get things sorted.

Just after midnight the captain came on and said - and I quote - in her 20 years working for British Airways, she had never encountered a situation like this. There would be no flight that night/morning. They couldn’t organise buses. They couldn’t organise hotels. It was up to us to find accommodation for the night.

After wandering around the airport for a while, I found the information desk where I was told that there were no taxis!! In Munich!! I got very lucky though as a passenger nearby had arranged a hotel where the owner would come and pick us up and he had an available room (which turned out to be one of the nicest rooms I’ve ever stayed it - it was huge).

Got a text the next day to say that the flight would be leaving at 3pm, but couldn’t face security again so just ended up getting a train home.

Will be compensated for the room at least. Not sure yet about the train fare. But Jaysus!

Long wall of text, but I think I’m just still in disbelief about the run of bad luck! And now Dublin airport is insane! Thinking of just taking a connecting flight from Cork back home. ><

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

4.5 hours is now reasonable if you need to go through US Preclearance . First to go westbound USA is the continental 22 which is 0920 , so at the airport for 0450 ... EEK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

It was absolutely mental at Dublin Airport this morning. I've never seen anything like it. I arrived at 7.15 for a 10.20 T1 flight and barely made it.

There was a huge queue of people outside the door. Thankfully I entered through the arrivals level so was able to skip the outside queue.

Check-in took 1 hour 20 minutes even though there weren't that many people. There were two agents doing the check-in but one of them didn't seem to have a clue what she was doing so got only a few people checked-in. Almost the whole flight was checked-in by a young guy who was only there a few weeks. He was doing great to be fair but it's ridiculous to put someone that new under pressure like that.

I arrived at the security queue at 8.40 and it took 1 hour 40 minutes. The queue went back as far as check-in area 8. 6/10 security belts were open. It was filthy around the queue with bottles and other rubbish piled on the unused desks. There were lots of people skipping the queue. Some were stopped but most got away with it. I even saw some people crying.

The shops and restaurants airside were deserted as everyone was rushing to their flights.

I was planning some weekend trips over the next month or two but I'm putting them on hold until the daa get their act together. It's not worth the exhaustion and stress. I'm saying that as a seasoned traveller who doesn't normally mind airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can assure anyone who thinks fast track is still open that it absolutely was not today. I can’t speak for other days, but it was NOT open today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ever hear of the saying don't let a good crisis go to waste, I'm sure the CEO thought great let's make staff redundant and if and when we need them we rehire on less money and T&C.

The same with the handling agencies they can't get staff, Mate of mine was telling me the other morning that one of the handling companies had not got enough staff to off load the freight, And the DAA ops 1 lads had to Marshall another aircraft on to the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Look, I know the ceo is at fault, but there’s a system in place which obviously isn’t fit for purpose.

I posted the question to find out what the core reason for todays **** show is, and another poster said it was staffing issues which makes sense.

The CEO should take a lot of the blame but the system needs looking at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

If a VIP turns up an no fast track is open then would lets say kim Kardashian have to queue? Or is it only plebs that queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The CEO signed off on a decision to let over 200 experienced security staff leave on redundancy. Everything stems from that decision so yes he is to blame.

They lost experienced people and they had to hire new people. Less experience. They also face delays in hiring as there is naturally a vetting process to go through. So low staffing combined with less experience = a sh1tshow. Security is a core airport function and one we pay for in our tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So the fast track Ryanair are selling isnt operational then? Even if it was can you once you get inside Join the fast track queue?

Surely security should be rostered 24 hours a day now as in if someone wants to arrive between midnight and 2 am for a 6.30 flight surely they should be able to through and that would ease the crowds

Airlines can still sell fast track. Not sure about today but it was definitely still operating during the week in T1.

T1 security is already 24hrs. T2 opens 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I wonder who the next CEO will be and they have a sh*t show on their hands to deal with,While the current one sails off probably with a nice pay off into Greencore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ok so just to be clear I can arrive up there at 2am tomorrow morning with hand luggage and go through security in T1 for a 7am flight?

I think that might be the plan then for my family member Id much prefer to be through to Airside and avoid the bigger queues at 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Can you go through Security in T1 at say 3am for a 6am Flight from T2 ? And then walk Airside from T1 to T2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Flying tomorrow morning with KLM out of T1.

Flight time is 11.10. Carry on only.

Is is possible or any benefit of going through T2 screening and connecting to T1 then? Not sure if this is even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think DAA are going have an explicit plan just dealing with next weekend which is scheduled to be busier than this weekend.

It will need to give very clear instruction on how early one must reach the airport.

Am dreading going to the airport next weekend

Yeah, there's nothing open past security until 4am. So they'll be standing around once they pass through there. If your flying from t2 though you still should use t2 security, if more people converge on t1 that should be at t2 then its obvious that'll cause issues as well when it starts getting busy for the first wave of departures.

Wouldn't surprise me if they put a stop to that though to ensure people go to the correct terminal for crowd management.

I'm flying at 6 Friday from T1, planning on being there around 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JSNNSJ

I used to remember Dublin Airport being one of the quickest security checks to get through, it's ridiculous how bad it's gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Used to fly transatlantic regularly for work, longer before Dublin clearance. When it wasn't the US, it was London.

Never have I had to queue that long, even for summer holidays.

• Advertisement

Think Dublin is bad.

Amsterdam has been just as bad if not worse. Some of the UK airports have been shocking as well. 2hrs in Birmingham during the week and 2hrs in Stansted the other morning.

They're all suffering from mismanagement and staffing issues

Advertisement