Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Pretty sure you're the other way around - Donegal - Dublin with EI will be into T2 and Dub - Rodez will be from T1 with Ryanair. There is a separate walkway between the two terminals that means you don't have to clear security again, however I'm not sure if it applies to domestic - likely it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, sacked from Morrisons - made a hames of stacking the shelves apparently🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is only going to get worse, as its coming to the holidays for the security staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DAA must be held liable for out of pocket expenses incurred by passengers who missed their flights yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

You'd be sweating if you are a Greencore shareholder though wouldn't you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hopefully their bonuses are used to pay out compensation to those that missed their flights yesterday

is anyone aware is this claimable under EU261 . Have DAA put in place any process on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Your thinking is so simple that it's foolish. If you had bothered to read any of the listen online and in print over the last 2 days this was not a case of the issues yesterday being caused by people turning up too early. It was due to the massive incompetence and understaffing of the airport. Having experienced it first hand your comments really are insulting to the thousands of people who were severely inconvenienced yesterday.

I can nearly guarantee you whoever was booking rosters for screening took a look at staffing for sunday (yesterday) , sent a mail to senior management and its been ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Who pays for this mess ?

Taxpayer or some imaginary company called DAA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Depends on whether you're classed as "Self Connecting Passengers" or not.

If you're flying Ryanair for the last leg, then you are definitely self-connecting and you have to go through security again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am looking up Irish Ferries Dublin to Cherbourg. September, premium de luxe king size bed window cabin, lounge access the works, E550 each return. No car though, will be taking TGV elsewhere then hiring for a few days. It sounds great, haven't done it before now so an adventure too. No luggage restrictions either, seriously considering it instead of flying more or less direct to destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

No problem on any afternoon in the last few weeks including May bank holiday.

The problem is early morning with far too many people coming far far too early for their flights causing an unnatural and unplanned surge.

And because the weekend is primarily holiday flights and charters there are more families and more "worry" and this leads to more and more coming early because they look on tiktok and see a queue that the tiktokker sensationalises as they did on Thursday / Friday & Saturday and each day more and more people came earlier and earlier creating a ripple effect.

As I said, solution is dreadfully simple - state loudly and clearly that you will not be allowed inside the airport building or on a carpark shuttle bus unless you can show you flight is within three hours. Implement that for 2am - 9am for a couple of weeks - put plenty of tiktoks up showing refusals and people will get the message

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There was nothing sensationalised about the queues yesterday, it was straight up factual and accurate. Dunno why you're obsessed with TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The people not know what they are at, you cannot make the core staff redundant and expect things to work, simple as that, i noticed this problem almost a year ago, said it here and was laughed at. We put up with sh1te service so its good enough for us. I have only used Dublin Airport 1 time in the last year. I am surprised Ryanair/aer Lingus not taking business to other Airports but i expect the daa/Government have control of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulk of passengers want to use Dublin. DAA only own it and Cork, if they have any away over airlines it's only between those two.

Shannon, Knock, Kerry, Donegal, Waterford (no flights but capable of resuming at short notice) are all independent of the DAA and each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is that the real root cause? I think the root cause that initially caused the delays was more passengers per hour than security could handle. Has that root cause been solved, as in if they ensure those at front of queue have a flight departing within 2 hours will no one miss their flight? I am all on for having even multiple queues such as my flight is 6am/7am/8am and allow people to wait until their queue starts to move.

If that's the only issue then why don't the DAA ask people to move into different lines or send them to a queue or holding area far away. It's hardly rocket science and then allow anyone with a flight departing within 90 minutes to jump the queue if they can prove it.

I think the reality is the limited security resources are not able to cope with peak demand even when during non peak they reduce staff, as in they simply do not have enough security people to cover 24/7/365 and something has got to give in that queues will form and if people are not allowed to jump to top of queue they will miss their flights. If they put on more security at morning rush they have no one else for evening rush.

Gross incompetence from DAA seems to be making matters worse, basic queue management should be a given, but don't blame the public who are trying to do what they can to prevent a holiday disaster.

It looks like there was no priority system...

Mr Cullinane referred to the "goodwill" of some passengers travelling today with one man allowed to be fast tracked so he could make his flight for his wedding abroad. However, he said it is "impossible" to facilitate everyone.

/ Quote

DAA are still saying arrive 2.5 hours early for short haul and 3.5 for long haul.

I am flying on Thursday...

Severe issues week before last during the afternoon DO NOT Ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree and this attitude permeates right from the Government who are constantly on the back foot. Across the board of society there is serious decline in the standard of living in Ireland. Always reactive when it's too late instead of proactive on issues.

Dalton Philips gets another huge gig after successive strategic failures. But hey the bottom line looks good.

The poster who is repeatedly blaming passengers coming early is 110% laying the blame in the wrong area. Victim blaming at it's worst.

I ask he/she - Would you be confident to turn up 2hrs early for a necessary flight this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

What a dreadfully simple solution, how come no one thought of it before.

Just push the queues back out of the airport into the car parks,

or better still do not allow travellers to leave their homes too early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

If management weren't ready and had plans in place for :

'And because the weekend is primarily holiday flights and charters there are more families and more "worry" and this leads to more and more coming early because they look on tiktok and see a queue that the tiktokker sensationalises as they did on Thursday / Friday & Saturday and each day more and more people came earlier and earlier creating a ripple effect.'

They're simply not fit to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If they were any use they would be getting the data from the airlines in advance and planning accordingly around the estimated passenger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, it's basic stuff.

Also, very easy to foresee an 'early surge' if there's already been 'media' (RTE not just tictok) about airport delays in previous weeks, again, this is very basic stuff.

What part of “severely understaffed” do you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Quags

I fly to London at 7.30am tomorrow and plan to be in the airport at 5am. Am now thinking it may have to be even earlier

You strike me as the type to arrive exactly 2.5 hours before your scheduled flight and when you’re still a mile back before security walk to the front of the queue and demand to speak to a manager because you arrived at the directed time and should therefore be accommodated. Well had you done that yesterday you’d have gotten a very short and firm response from the staff.

One ticket holder I witnessed was asked to move back repeatedly after screaming “I’m going to miss my flight” (this conversation started off peacefully before escalating) before security moved him away from the queue. I’m honestly surprised there wasn’t more interactions like this given the rising tensions in the building - that said I was through relatively early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

I’m heading to the airport shortly. Planning to get there around 2 for a 5:25 flight. I’ll post how I’m getting on.

DAA should be able to see

0600-0900 25,000 passengers scheduled -> Due to sickness and holidays only screening capacity for 15,000 . Arriving earlier than 0430 is impossible for a lot of people

-> 10,000 people will miss flights, so we should get the airlines to cancel 50 flights ( what other answer is there , you can't have magic beans ) . you'd need to do this a week in advance but it would cause a ruckus

you can't delay most aircraft, they mostly have slots so that don't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Took me 30 minutes to clear security from when I arrived at terminal 2. Probably would have taken somewhat longer at terminal 1.

Advertisement