Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

This morning it seems to be chaotic and easing off from 730/800. Same trend as previous days although Fridays are logically busier.

I hope the government is paying attention to this. Dublin Airport is absolutely key infrastructure. If there’s a prolonged issue, Ireland becomes less and less attractive as a business destination. It’s making our infrastructure look like a joke.

Retaining staff at airports during the pandemic should have been a state priority. It’s not like we’re an island or anything … or what we utterly depend on having functional airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Same here, 6:30 flight with fast track. Think I’ll aim for 4 to be in the airport. Impossible to know 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes, that runway closure was a good idea in the end - got it all done at once while not too many people were travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Innisfallen

Not sure the current Minister for Transport cares all that much about aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I've a flight next Friday at 20:30 - any idea of Friday security times?

Problem I will have is, with Ryanair I can't check my bags in until 2 hours before the flight - so what am I meant to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

If you miss your flight and were at the airport in the recommended time can you make a 261 claim ? Does travel insurance cover this stuff ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I had an email earlier in the week (Flew with them on Wednesday) that said check in desks were opening 3 and a half hours before departure. I don't know how long that will be in place, I am guessing it could be a while!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

T2 ran out of food yesterday at about 1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I'm after flying in there an hour ago. 30min wait for bags off the plane. I walked to departures for a look and both fastrack and normal security wasn't very busy.

I'm also flying out tomorrow at 8am so it will be craic to see what it's like. Got the email off Ryanair saying be there 3.5 hours before. We also have fasttrack for the morning so it's a hedge the bets and see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

DAA say that passenger numbers are 30pc higher than they expected - I wonder what they are basing this on. They must have a relatively accurate picture of how many people will be passing through the airport at least a month in advance, based on flight bookings (which I assume they have access to).

I know you can't just magic staff out of nowhere, maybe there isn't much that can be done without bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

Most of the major companies operating at Dublin Airport have staffing issues; Ryanair, Swissport,Aer Lingus, Sky Handling DAA etc .I would never work for any of them due the way they treat their staff. They have been chasing up the staff who used to work for them but most of these have got new and better jobs ,thankfully. They are now trying to hire staff and giving them little or no training. The new DAA contracts are not worth it. I can understand people looking to get jobs but the way they treat their staff is appalling and the money is not worth getting out of bed at 4am for. Its going to be a chaotic summer out there .

Who didn't see this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Aer Lingus offered all new ground staff 40 hour contracts recently as well as making a large majority of them permanent. This was in an effort to ensure enough staff for the summer.

The DAA got left behind on this.

He will when it starts affecting the numbers visiting Ireland.

Rightly or wrongly, I sent him an E-mail yesterday evening, if a few more people sent something similar, maybe he might actually wake up for 5 minutes and do something useful for once.

Dear Minister,

I am sure you are aware of the controversy that has been reported on by the media in recent times in relation to the excessive queuing times for security checks at Dublin Airport.

It seems that this issue is causing the DAA some embarrassment, and rather than deal with the problem, and be transparent about it, they have chosen to take the actions that only a management that does not fear consequences for failure could take, they have now removed the real time updates of the delays from their web site and on line applications, which means that there is now no way to know exactly how badly they are failing.

As minister responsible for transport, I would like to ask that DAA be instructed to restore this information to the public domain as a matter of urgency, and that consideration should be given to requiring them to publish their performance on a daily and ideally half hourly basis on their site, so that potential travellers can see from the online history the sort of problems they may face on given days or at specific times.

The Commission for Aviation regulation have a function to report on the performance of the DAA in this area, and if DAA are failing without valid reason, fine them for non performance. I think it is appropriate that the Commission should now require DAA to be pro active in publishing their performance in a way that ensures that they cannot hide how badly they are failing.

I look forward to your response on this matter.

Yours sincerely

I'm not wildly optimistic, his way of dealing with energy pricing is to get even more enthusiatic about price band charging. Wonderful, so we end up telling kids they can't have a hot meal when they need it because the electricity is too expensive for the next few hours. The only people to benefit from multi band charging will be the suppliers, the whole concept of multi band was to try and discourage peak time use, so we know where that's going to end up going!

If that's the level of intelligence, God help us!! Contempt isn't even close to how I'd describe my opinion of him, and that was before his latest foot in mouth episode.

Thanks for that - I have been monitoring the trend on the Dublin Airport app over the last few days in anticipation of my upcoming trip. The trend is that queues start building up heavily from 3/4am, hit pick at 5am and remains at that level until about 830am....when they start getting shorter (but still busy).

8am on a Saturday feels it will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Who knows 😃. We'll see tomorrow morning what the mayhem is like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Good info! I've a flight out of T1 (RyanAir) later next month, fully expecting the current chaos to still be ongoing, and I'm smack in that peak time you mentioned (it's a Friday flight at that...)

I've booked fast track, which will hopefully be 'uncancelled' by then, 6:40 flight, but based on this info, I'll be at the airport by 3am (shuttle from red parking runs 24/7, right?) just to be safe. I'd rather hole up in a restaurant or coffee shop for a few hours and make my flight, or find an uncomfortable chair and nap, than stress in slow queues and risk missing it. Hell, if I need to be there for 2am, I guess I might have to do it. Paid extra for cabin baggage, so thankfully no bags to check (couple of days away, that's more than sufficient)

You may want to check the status of the Long Term Cark Park service as bad queues were reported from there too. I am also going as early as I can but not using it this time due to the horror stories I have read and the price increase since the last time I used it.

I will have to check in bags (family) but will go this weekend at the time of my flight (only flying out next week) to assess the situation and decide if we have to go all carry on, as the bottle neck is the time from which I can drop off the checked bags.

Crazy to be planning for this.

The buses from Red Zone do indeed run 24/7, but be very careful as you look for a space, if the active zone is very full, and you take the wrong internal road when trying to find a space, you can end up going round in circles past barriers blocking the entry to the rest of the zones, and no way to get back to the area that's supposedly open.

The signposting in the Red Zone is a disaster (like many things at Dublin Airport) . The buses only pick up from the "active" zone, so if you end up in a different zone, expect a hike to get to the bus. Allow at least 30 minutes to get from the entrance of Red Zone to the terminal. Don't rely on remembering which stop you board from, as when you come back, the buses drop off at different stops in other parts of the zone, so make very sure you know EXACTLY where the car is, so you don't end up spending time finding it when you come back.

We always used to use QuickPark, and the difference between the 2 is massive, there were never any issues with Quickpark, even in the early hours of the morning, they were always very much in control of what was happening, and made the entire process very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Flightradar is showing me that Dublin had a horrendous day of delays today... is any of that security related, or was it a dreadful day of weather.

Sunny in Cork FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes, it goes on the ticket. But let's say there are four staff on a belt and they do 20 passengers an hour. If you are only paying these guys €15 then the total wages cost for the belt is €60 per hour, or €3 per passenger. Adding a more generous provision would probably only be €1 per head, not so much in these days of high fuel costs. Put it this way, I would rather pay the Euro than queue for an hour at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The other day I heard a radio advert for Swissport looking for staff, It is the first time ever that I have heard an advert for jobs in the Airport. As for staff that got let go why would they go back.

It is not only happening within the airports but other industries are struggling to find staff, My place is finding it hard to get experienced drivers and they pay top $.

What seems to have happened is people got a pain working crazy hours for crap wages and more than likely upskilled and moved on.

It looks like the bean counters at work again they just see the charts and figures, We had one as MD and he f**ked up big time we lost €100 million contract over him, He has since been sent packing but the damaged is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Anyone ever used the Metro Hotel Park & Fly Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Swissport as a whole are in serious trouble. They're looking for 700+ staff in Manchester and can't get anywhere close to it, if they fall in Manchester then all other European airports will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are no false positives or test scenarios during live X-raying. What you see on screen is in the bag. There is no aspect to xraying devised to keep staff interested and motivated they can only X-ray for 20 minutes at a time, legally Everything is live, what you see is what you get.

a gun will not show on the screen unless a gun is in the bag. The training or test mode certainly will but there are no bags going through in that scenario…just images on a screen.

if a threat is exposed on an X-ray such as a gun… the operator will leave the bag and therefore gun inside the tunnel….making a weapon easily accessible again to a person who may want to use it isn’t a good idea, making an explosive accessible the same… if an explosive is detonated the machine can absorb part of the blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Had a flight out of Dublin after Paddy's weekend, about 3pm on a Wednesday, security was as quiet as at the height of the pandemic, from entering the airport to completing security was literally 5 minutes. I can only assume these problems are very much at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jbrodders

Flying out of Terminal 1 at 10.30 am Tuesday for my marriage ceremony so keen not to miss my flight! Is that peak time still I guess - any idea what time I should be at the airport based upon latest timings?!

• Advertisement

Yeah they told passengers to turn up 3.5hrs before their flights but didn’t actually bother opening check in till 2hrs beforehand. Ridiculous call by Ryanair to add fuel to a fire then blame the DAA for the delays.

Advertisement