Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Electric Bill

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Our home rarely needs heating till November. We are still wearing summer clothes & shorts around the house at the moment. It's too late now but upgrading the insulation of your home is usually done before you concider getting PV solar. New installation of boilers aren't allowed after 2225 I think & replacement boilers will be outlawed around 10 years after that. You will then need a heat pump from then on & they require better insulation than you have right now. Air tightness even. It's something to think about & plan for in the future

Anyway getting way off my original point that electric showers are cheaper to run than oil gas & immersion (even if your heating runs 24/7 365 days of the year. Solar is the only thing cheaper but only after the 10 to 20 years it takes to recoup the cost of the solar installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am going to switch provider but not sure if I should go for Pay as you Go or standard plan. The PAYG offers a smart type meter that I can monitor when usage is high and can try to isolate either faulty or high power consumption devices. My fear is that I could end up paying even more as the rate is a bit higher.

I am paying 2 different rates at the minute, 18.56c & 20.52c with 190kwh on the cheaper rate and 400kwh on the higher rate. Anyone able to explain these? The description on the bill is the same for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Prepays can be dearer, so be careful with that

Yeah, I know it will be more expensive per unit but I am hoping that I will be able to isolate where the expense is coming from by using the usage meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Looks like you are on a day/night plan. Day/Night plans have cheaper rates between midnight & 9am during the Irish Summer Time period & 11pm to 8am during the winter time period.

Who is your current supplier?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 45,587 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Those rates are high. Are they before or after VAT?

I'm paying 12.64c a unit before VAT with Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure if it is still the case but I think you have to pay money to get out of a prepay situation as well, they put some charge on for their equipment if you ever want to go back to post pay. Think I read before its something like 200 quid so its not cheap to get away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I know a sparky who removes those pre-paid power boxes for cash in hand...the owners just say they were removed when they moved in...

My brother was having trouble trying to get it removed by the supplier, as he didn't have an account

Advertisement