Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub with a Beer Garden

Options
  • 07-09-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Might seem a little bit odd of a title but essentially im best man for my friends wedding at the end of October.

We are heading to Kilkenny in 3 weeks for a couple of nights. To call it a stag is probably a bit of a stretch to be honest, the average age of the people going is 45 and the bloody groom is pushing 50.

Essentially theres 10 of us going for 2 nights and genuinely just looking for a pub where we can have a few pints on the friday and saturday evening, we have zero interest in Matt the Millers , Langtons or The Left Bank type of night out as would have previously been the case on nights out and stags some 15 years ago, well beyond that.

Essentially looking for a nice quite spot that might accommodate us for a night out even if its outside in a beer garden where can just sit around and have a bit of craic amongst ourselves. Even somewhere outside the city in the country would do the job.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Christy's would be a good bet. Massive beer garden. Attracts youth as well though.

Kytlers Inn also be good and attracts an older crowd like yourselves ha.

Terrace bar at Kilkenny rivercourt be good as well. Fantastic place but you'll pay a bit extra for pints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Billy Byrnes is nice alright, good pints there. If the weather is nice, the river court is ideal sitting out by the river but away from noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Brogans is central with a great beer garden. Stmbled in there with a group in July and pretty much spent the entire weekend there. Good pints, cocktails and service. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Double check anywhere serving food, they may need the table back. Sullivans and Billy Brynes require booking and max stay last time I was in each location.

Kytlers would probably be ideal for your needs. Not sure how tables work there at the moment.

Brogans is a great spot but I would put it in the Left Bank bracket in terms of night out.

Not one I would usually recommend in terms of beer garden but based on your needs it may work, The Blue Bar has a small outdoor area at the front. Not the most glamourous but ten lads in there would be good craic and good pints.

Christys is near blue bar, I've only been to the front bar and its great for a few quiet pints, the beer garden seems to attract a huge young crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Langton's front bar or Bridies would be grand. The front room and Sullivans which are on John's St. have pods. I like Jim Burke's which is also on John St. The pubs on Parliament St are great if ye wanted to do a mini pub crawl, there's five pubs beside each other. Reidy's has the best pint guinness in town, in my opinion.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Van Doozy

The crowd in Christy's really is quite young these days - not sure if that would suit the OP.

There's loads of great pubs in town with a bit of character to suit the requirements given above: Centre of town: Blue Bar, Tynan's - Parliament street end: Cleere's, Reidy's.

Lenehan's was done up recently. That might be worth a look but it's a bit off the beaten track if you're in the centre of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dun Doire

Lenehans ticks all your boxes with a bookies across the road. Nice and quiet and a lovely new outside area.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The black cat is the best beer garden with prices from when drinking wasn't overly expensive

Advertisement