Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a bit of a panic over PUP and quitting a new job

Options
  • 07-09-2021 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Any help is greatly appreciated here,

I had an interview for a job, and managed to get it but when I started on Monday I was requested to do work that was not in the job description nor was anything of the sort was mentioned in the interview. I was upset about this, told management what I thought and left the job that day.

Now, I've been receiving the PUP and not closed my claim yet but I got an email from revenue the day after, showing I had new 'Amended tax credit certificate' and down the bottom of it under the employer section was had the name of the employer I had just started with. I went into a panic thinking my PUP was going to be cut but my account on mywelfare.ie shows that my claim is still marked as 'awarded.'

I suppose my question is is my PUP going to get cut? or because I didn't close my claim I might actually fly under the radar until I manage to get another job elsewhere. Money is pretty tight right now, and would be in bother if it did get cut. Any advice or opinions would help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Unfortunately it's quite possible.

The issue is primarily cross referencing between SW and Revenue. Whilst this is primarily to update SW on any taxable earnings of a PUP recipient, I would be concerned the Revenue update may be flagged by SW who may in turn seek an explanation re a Job offer, accepted and declined. I say this primarily because of that Tricky eligibility criteria "must be looking for work"

Actual income received (which you have not) would be more serious and your PUP claim would be suspended immediately.

I'm not sure how to advise on your next move but this may require an explanation if SW pick this up, you could perhaps consider an explanation, Job spec, qualification's, commute etc but that's for you to consider.

Also be aware my welfare can be slow to update , I don't know if and how long "Awarded" status takes to change/update when claim closed, suspended .

On the plus side, you have not earned any taxable income and maybe that's all that concerns SW.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Perpetual_Burn

Going to give Revenue a ring and explain this whole situation to them if I can manage to get through to them. Hopefully I'll get some clarity on it. Will post an update here in case anyone else ends up in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Let us know how you get on. If you didn't close the claim you might be ok.

I'm not wishing to alarm you just advising Revenue and SW cross reference relevant info.

I'm not sure revenue will actually be able to do anything, basically it's not like the old days we're an employee gets a p45 and hands that into employer, this in turn is updated by new employer to revenue.

The new system seems just to facilitate employers update new employee details to revenue. In a sense that info stays until employee leaves and next employer updates info and so on. It's only relevant for taxation purposes so I think (open to correction) the info just sits on revenue systems even if no salary being paid. I suppose and Im guessing revenue may not just remove the information but a call to enquire can't do any harm I suppose.

Got through to revenue, explained the whole situation to them and thankfully the woman on the phone was really helpful and understanding. She informed me she deleted the employer off the tax certificate and said that I'd be receiving an updated cert. She also said that there's nothing to worry about because I didn't close my PUP claim before starting the new job and that my claim will be unaffected. Talk about a massive relief of stress.

• Advertisement

That's fantastic, delighted and relieved for you. I was just concerned it might raise a flag with SW. You've raised an important issue so hopefully it will help others, Ive learned something new also as I wasn't fully sure what happens in such a scenario.

Best regards 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

You need to worry what the DSP say and not what someone in Revenue told you as DSP are the correct Department.

Why not call the Income Support Helpline and ask or email info@welfare.ie

https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/other-info-pages/contact-us/

Don't be surprised if you get a Commencement of Employment form (COE1) in the post. This is a system generated letter which is triggered by an employer registering a new employee with Revenue if the employee is getting a DSP payment.

The guidelines for PUP state a PUP claim must be closed on the day a person starts a new job or returns to work.

1 week later happy to say PUP is in my bank as usual, no forms in the post arrived, not worried about DSP. Contacting Revenue definitely turned out to be the right move.

Start a new job next week, don't think I'll have the same bother this time round.

Advertisement