Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports that there will be lots delays and there could be staggered releases due to shortages of parts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

never mind the 13 the iPhone 14 design mock up (yep)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ugh that guy is an absolute 12 year old. basically 10 minutes of toilet jokes for 1 minute of info. iPhone 14 looks nice but remember there's always something more shiny around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Hmm, I get less and less excited by these every year ...It'll be the same as the existing iPhone with a few tweaks - yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

A drinking game of taking a shot every time the word 'Ever' is used would see us twisted in minutes. :)

This is true for the broader tech products industry I've found. 10 years ago I was a buy every iPhone, iPad, Laptop, Headphones, anything under the sun each year etc. person. Now I'm on a 3 year cycle with the phone, don't own a personal laptop anymore (no need as iPhone/iPad cover everything I need), work laptop is replaced every 3 years too.

However Apple and - to a lesser extent others - need to keep up the hyperbole for those who do need - or want - to buy. If it's your cycle you want to hear all the hyperbolic adjectives otherwise why would you give Apple the guts - or more - of a €1000.

What drives me up the wall a little, is the the generic Apple fans who demand that every year is a year for them to buy otherwise it's "Apple's Doomed, Tim Cook should be fired! yadda yadda!" They're the same ones who agree that no chargers in the box is done for purely "environmental reasons".

It is however nice to be excited about things that will improve your usage of a phone, imagine you have an iPhone 8 and it's your year to buy a new phone, you get so much more now, ultra-wide/telephoto lenses, the massive leaps are there we just have to stop buying incremental tech every year 😀.

This is also partially Apple's fault too, they build phones with such a head room of power that tbh very few utilise, I jumped from an iPhone 7 to an 11 pro, and if the new iPhone came with the same power as the iPhone 7, I probably would not notice unless I look up a teardown of the phone.

• Advertisement

The other bit I find quit amusing though is all the oooing and awwwing over the shape and feel of the phone, then we all slap a big protective case and never see the phone 99.999% of the time.

The single biggest innovation in terms of Apple gear for me this year has been Vodafone making eSIMs available. I now have work (Vodafone) and personal (Gomo) on my iPhone as two lines and it's sooo much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Yes, the iPhones look and feel lovely, I haven’t seen it touched it in over a year since I got a new case for it.

I would rather be comforted by knowing g it won’t get damaged that “oooing” about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Any rumours of new AirPod Max?

With tvOS 15 bringing spatial audio, I’m going to to invest in a Max.

won't be a max anytime soon . apple will have to match the Qualcomm tech that is going to produce CD quality 16-bit 44.1kHz lossless audio quality over Bluetooth for 2022 headphones

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/qualcomm-debuts-lossless-bluetooth-audio-streaming-with-aptx-lossless/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

Hoping the next innovation will be the Apple Watches with Cellular available here and able to roam across Europe

You can roam across the EU on any data plan, so all they need to do is enable the eSIM capability.

The problem in Ireland has been networks dragging their feet on eSIMs. So far, only Vodafone has them and it's only very recent.

It's extremely handy and there's no network or vendor ownership of the device like the was with CMDA or anything like that. You can simply scan the SIM QR code and activate it on any advice, much like changing a physical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

This. If this isn’t announced this week - I give up! Fingers crossed since they (Vodafone) have started eSIM with other devices it has to happen does it not?!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I really hope that the Irish Apple Store will allow us to purchase the more expensive Apple Watch in Stainless Steel like they do in the UK store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

what time is this at irish time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

how would this work with whatsapp ? just designate a number to use ?

Just install WhatsApp Business as the second instance of it. It’s essentially identical.

WhatsApp would be set up to use whatever number you set up when you installed it on your phone. You're just using a cellular connection with the watch to access WhatsApp.

I wouldn't go confusing yourself with installing WhatsApp business and having two instances, one WhatsApp is bad enough :pac:

If your phone has two SIMs, one for personal and one for business, for example, and you want to use WhatsApp with both, you new two separate instances of WhatsApp installed. Some android phones are setup for this by default e.g. Samsung, where you can install two instances of various messengers.

iOS is a little trickier as you can only install an app once. However, WhatsApp Business is basically the same as WhatsApp, with a few tweaks to make it business friendly. You just tick the 'not a business' description when setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

My number one wish for this is the cellular Apple Watch, but I know that’s a network issue rather than an Apple issue so I’m not holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Haven’t saw much mentioned about iPad’s at this event, I’d read they were mostly expected at a second event next month.

Seems like a lot of iPad updates though.

new ipads and ipad mini (8.3 inch) a13 chip first up

apple watch 7 seems like a big upgrade on the 6

not release date yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They got the rumours on the watch completely wrong this year. Very minor changes if anything. Slightly reduced bezels are great, but other than that it’s basically the same as previous.

Strangely, they got the release date delay correct :D

Advertisement