Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Doughiska safe to live in?

Options
  • 07-09-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm looking for a room to rent in Doughiska. Had a look at one in Fearann Ri yesterday, nice big room, kind-sounding roommates, all three insisted they've never had trouble, rent isn't outrageous. Few more rooms going in the area. Tried scouting in Ballybrit and Roscam lately but rooms there are scarcer, plus advertisers aren't always great for getting back to you. I want to live in this particular area because it's close to work.

Been living in Galway for the past two years and have walked through Doughiska a few times, in the day and at night. There's a halting site and a lot of the area is very diverse with lots of young folk hanging about, and I've heard a few people before dub it as 'rough', so obviously I'm concerned. I don't drive so walking around and the odd bus trip are my means of movement, particularly when going to the gym which would be after 6pm.

Anyone here live in Doughiska before? Is it as bad as some people say? Would appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Been living at the other end of the Doughiska road for 2 years, and never had issues.

Teenagers congregate around the shops by Fearann Rí, but they're harmless. You get some drinking in Merlin Woods at the weekend, but that's to be expected. The halting site is an eyesore, for sure.

The 'gangs of Doughiska' narrative is a myth, far as I can see. I'm sure there have been issues with kids hanging about, but no worse than I saw in Malahide 25 years ago.

The 409 is handy for commuting to town, guaranteed to be empty when it gets to your stop. The woods being so close is a gift. You've got Lidl and Dunnes right by you. Lots of pros.

We had one local break in that I'm aware of in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Quieter on the other side of the park in Coill Tíre/Túr Uisce/An Fiodán

Lots of teenagers hanging aound the park and Joyces but I don't know if that bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are plenty of areas far rougher than Doughiska!

I'd live in the estate you named without a second thought - and I know several people who live there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BarryWitts

Thanks for your input so far guys. What about walking home in the dark as the evenings get shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

It's been fine anytime I've had to walk up to Joyces or Dunnes after dark.

Anyone calling it rough has led a very sheltered life.

The only thing that would annoy me about Fearann Rí is the amount of cars parked on the footpaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there is a gym beside iceland/nct centre now aswell,polish shops are great.. go for it

Advertisement