Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equity release

• 08-09-2021 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My 78 year old mother is proposing to release some equity from her house to gift me for a deposit on a new build. I will be taking on the repayments and my question relates to the terms of equity release. The house is mortgage free and she is willing to release €30000-€40000 whichever is required. My question is, are lending institutions willing to lend this money to a 78 year old with myself as guarantor and how long would they loan for? Many thanks.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The loan is backed not by a guarantor but her own property that will be sold on her death.

The loan will be on a fixed rate of something like 6%-8% for the lifetime of the loan which will be her lifetime. Compare this with a mortgage rate of 2%-3% meaning this loan interest is very high.

You need to explore this further as it does not sound like a good idea compared with other options. Could your mother not go guarantor on a loan for you instead at a lower interest rate, backed by the sale of her house on her death?

This in not advice, merely a suggestion of looking at other options. A financial advisor may have better suggestions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the personal banking forum instead:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/banking-insurance-pensions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement