Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I have to take more tea breaks than I used to! Not sure if I'm getting old or just getting less sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I got an email from VW to buy a service plan

9.99 €

2 Oil Change Services including Filters (pollen, air & fuel)

Brake Fluid change and Spark Plugs also included

16.99 €

3 Oil Change Services including Filters (pollen, air & fuel)

Brake Fluid change and Spark Plugs also included

I'm thinking over 2 years the plan would cost (24 x 9.99) so 240, whereas a classic service is 189 each. Saving 140 euro. So it's a no brainer

What's the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yesterday I seen a turbo UKDM DC2 on Facebook. And the mad thing is it's on Irish plates in the UK and he was asking how much is it worth and people were telling him to sell it in Ireland which makes sense since it would cost a few quid to import one from UK to Ireland since brexit. And it's already on Irish plates so it would be worth your while to buy it if you were living in Ireland.

Only downside is it's modified with the turbo but some would like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They are a good deal.

Catch as far as i can see is you dont get the roadside assist package that you do with the Classic/ Ultimate services.

That and by VW standards you are supposed to go classic/ ultimate alternating, not two classics in a row so you will have to pay €120 if you want to turn one of the classics into an ultimate. Even if you do that though, you've still saved the €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Zurich car insurance 19% off promo code: "Protect" not sure how long it's valid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Falken tyres any use ? ZE310 specifically. The ST came with 4 brand new Grenlander's but I'm not keen on them or do I trust them. Definitely want to change the fronts soon with the more frequent wet weather.

Also deciding between Kumhos, Firestones or Uniroyals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Had falkens on 2 cars (different model though, 310's predecessors). No complaints whatsoever. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are matador a good make of tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are a mid range budget tyre. You could do alot worse.

I believe they're a cheaper version of Kumhos or so Modern Tyres told me when I bought the Kumhos for my 320d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not sure how they'd be on an st but I've grenlanders on an e11 corolla in a pretty big size for the car (185/70r14) and they've been great so far for a budget tyre.

They were brand new on a set of wheels I bought for it hence I didn't set out to run them but I've plenty of experience with what I would class as sh1te tyres too and these ain't sh1te.

There's a fair bit of torque going through the wheels when it's boosting (400Nm I think) so they are spinning in 3rd when the road is even damp. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya a turbo fwd hot hatch might be asking a bit much of them in fairness.

Nokian powerproof were a good wet weather peforming sporty orientated midrange tyre I had looked into. Uniroyal rainsports grip well but soft sidewalls and wear fast.

Goodyear asymmetric 5 or Michelin ps4 or whatever the newest versions are called are the go too for most in anything performance orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I put Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 on my old ST, did a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

quick question - if one reversing sensor is broken does that mean the whole set has to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you mean the little round buttons on the bumper, no you can replace one, Typically there is a control box in the boot, with a connector for each sensor. Beware typically the sensors are body colour and I am not sure if DIY painting will detune them harming performance.

Yeah these seem to be the next best thing after PS4's it seems. I know lots of BMW drivers use these and and no complaints with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I put F1 ASY5s on the front of the Cupra and wasn’t too impressed. I haven’t tried the F1 super sports but the PS4S’s that replaced them are leagues ahead in terms of getting power down. Michelin are doing cash back from certain retailers too at the moment - think it’s about 50 for 2, 100 for 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Like everyone, not been posting much lately.

I have come across an NCT quirk. I have two cars, a 132 and a 152. I bought the 152 this time last year. It has been for sale for a year and they did an NCT before I took delivery as it had not been renewed when they took it in trade. NCT expiry 29 Oct 2021 (ie only one year, retaining original due date).

the 132’s NCT was done 30 Sept 2019 and expired yesterday. However, it benefits from the 4 month extension and I had no reminder etc.

the 152 which was tested last year (ie more recently) does not benefit from 4 month extension as it didn’t have a valid test cert on March 2020 despite being tested since.

another example of joined up thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Not sure where else to post this, but anyway, I was at the lights yesterday afternoon in Oscar Traynor Road (Dublin) and heard this horn beeping repeatedly, next thing I see is a black Golf overtaking my queue on the wrong side at well over 120kph I'd say, and going through the red lights at speed like the ambulances etc do. The rear bumper was hanging off.

Anybody else see that or hear of a crash involving said car?

• Advertisement

I have another mad story I was in Dublin last Sunday not yesterday and it was raining so visibility wasn't the best so anyway I pulled out of McDonalds at Bluebell/kylemore and was driving along came to a set of traffic lights and stopped next thing blue lights flashing behind me. Then the car swung up beside me I rolled down window and this foreigner with really bad English going mental and I couldn't even understand him eventually the lights turn green and he drives off in front of me.

He thinks he is a Garda the príck. I wonder if he is at it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone retrofit apple carplay to a vag car? Worth the cost or any draw backs from it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm only here because Facebook and Instagram are down... But the aul lady briefly made an appearance at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Down the hook over the weekend. Lovely evening.

Running a bit sick with a bad solenoid in the intake, but when it's on song it's still brilliant. And even then, the backfires are epic. Just tap the pedal while changing gears and it's like a bomb going off.

Is that still the original Rx8 you had for years now. If my memory serves me right you had to replace the engine?

Yeah. Same car since 2014. Can't really think of anything to replace it (That I can afford). Had it for seven years

Engine was killed by a faulty sparkplug dropping into the chamber and going for a spin 2 years ago.

Truth been told it's been pretty reliable. It's only ever failed to run once - and that was a dead cell in the battery. Even with half a sparkplug spinning around in it, it started and ran and made good power.

It's genuinely been the most reliable car that's ever lived in this house.

Only real frightening propblem it had was a shock that collapsed. At high speed. At Mondello.

The new emissions standards ruined the the rotary engine. There will never be another brand new one produced. I heard once that Mazda are thinking about using a small one to charge hybrid batteries. So electric with a small rotary to charge rather than power the car. If they ever get to production stage is another thing but they are testing them.

With direct injection and other tech it may be possible. I've a suspicion that the SkyActive X tech' came out of the rotary skunkworks at Mazda simply because I've seen my RX-8 do that at idle - using a lean mixture and reversing the firing order of the plugs and firing them retarded

Some intrepid rotary tuners have tried to do the same for a running engine at cruise --- and gotten results --- but it's rare snake-oil **** that runs the risk of detonation at part-load if you're not careful and don't dial it in right.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Anyone have or know where I can reliably get a Certificate of conformity for a Japanese import VW UP! (High-UP!) DBA-AACHY ?

I just need it for NCT/VRT to show the Co2 and Nox of the above UP!

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

I was just on the Toyota Ireland website and seen that the GR Yaris is back up for sale the last time I was on there it was sold out. Great car but dear all the same. I would love to own one but I do not have close to 60 grand for the LSD version which is the one you should really go for if you were in the market saying that I can't even afford the cheaper model one without LSD's.

Advertisement