Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You’d be better off starting a new thread for this. Only about 5 people look at this one.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Luna84

True. Back in the day it used to be one of the busiest threads in the motors forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Try Eddie in Car Stereos & Alarm Systems on St. Patrick’s Quay in Cork City. He’s very experienced in this sort of stuff, been in business there a long time. If he can’t help you himself he’d be able to give you good advice about who could help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

I can’t even remember how go do that. And I was on this platform for donkeys years 😂

Would Eddie do more than just the radios/speakers/alarms?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭zg3409

At the NCT, while waiting decided to watch YouTube with Bluetooth headphones. Suddenly the sound stops, my phone has connected to the car stereo during the NCT. I am highly tempted to make a strange phone call or play something iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bamzilla16

Is this a good spot to ask for general recommendations? "My budget is x, looking for y, not interested in z" sort of post. MK2 focus is on its last legs and I'm getting some financing thrown together for a new family car. It's a jungle out there trying to find the right cars...and I'm not a bona fide gearhead like most here!

Not the correct thread. Start a new thread with all your preferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My 86 year old uncle bought a new car a few weeks ago.

He's been complaining since he got it about no spare wheel with it.

I told him, it's no big deal, just pump with supplied inflator and I'll plug it for him.

He still wasn't happy saying what if something bigger punctures it.

I then told him we can get a spare,brace and jack of a scrappie someday and stop worrying about it as chances are you'll be grand.

Sorry I said anything as this buried itself fully in his tyre today and I'll never hear the end of it 🙈🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Monday morning get that spare, jack etc. and you are back in the will 🙂

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Munster Auctions having a sale out in Punchestown this Saturday. Might go out for a nose and see what they're like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ofcork

My drivers side electric window has started acting up open it and closes itself or else wont open fully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Random question.. I do a lot of motorway driving and with the darker nights slowly creeping in, the front of the car looks like there was a bug massacre this morning.

That's bad enough, but the windscreen is the bigger issue as the standard washer fluids only smear the residue or have no effect at all - not great from a visibility standpoint!

(Can't get a picture as the phone is trying to filter it out or something but the above will give the idea)

Any thoughts on something more effective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You could apply a water repellent coating the windscreen which should help and maybe a hydroponic screen wash too. You'll probably have to clean the windscreen at least once a week if it's that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I do just 100+ km a day and clean windscreen at least twice a week. Lukewarm water with a bit of washing up liquid and plastic(ish) dishwashing sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I do 200/300 kms a day and clean the windscreen each morning with simple glass cleaner and an oul rag. Need to put a bit of elbow grease into it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭fire_man

I have my car up on done deal for a week with 100 views and no callers yet.Should I hold out or start reducing price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Depends on the make, model, condition etc. and the asking price

Check what similar cars are asking to find out if you are too expensive.

August is a holiday month too so that could be a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not so much the aftermath clean-up.. it's the enroute cleaning is the issue.

As you can see from the pics above, that's a lot of bugs on a 90 minute motorway spin at dusk/night. The windscreen becomes equally covered in white residue that the wipers and standard washer fluid isn't cleaning off.

It's getting rid of that crap while still driving is the issue really :)

Maybe try Rain-X. But that's for rain but the residue it leaves may make bugs wipe off easier.

But failing all that maybe carry a spray bottle and a rag and stop half way and give the windscreen a wipe down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Holts used to make an aerosol can years ago, called mixra, which was great at cleaning windscreens. Not something you'd easily put in the washer bottle though.

There's a degreaser called elbow grease (MrPrice, amongst others, stock it); quite powerful and good for wiping your windscreen down with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,756 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I use that elbow grease stuff on everything. It's great quality and only 2 or 3 quid in Mr price, the range of pink stuff is also very good. They have a glass cleaner in it

Yep, it's the only thing that ever worked on the crud on the extractor hood filter in our kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,369 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try treating a small section 30×30cm near the left of the screen with WD-40?.

Might be effective and not affect vision or wipers? If it works, try a larger area....

Not your ornery onager

cleaning the wipers with WD40 is a known trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,369 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are really trying to stop them adhering to the windscreen. You would need good wiper fluid if you try the wipers. They will smear the remains over the screen unless successfully washed off.

Sometimes it's best to not use the wipers at all to avoid smearing, which only makes vision worse.

They are some problem on a motorcycle visor…

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement