Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a comfortable sofa

Options
  • 09-09-2021 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

So I've been spending a lot more time on my bog standard Ikea couch this past year and I'm realising it's really not comfortable, to the point that I can feel the wood coming through it after a couple of hours and I have to move to a different cushion. So can anyone recommend a comfortable sofa / couch that can be sat on for a few hours and won't break your ar$e?

• is there a particular brand / type that are more comfortable, or ones that are built a particular way?
    • is there a style / type of cushion or fabric etc. I should be looking out for?
    • how do we know if a couch will be comfortable after a few hours? Pretty much all are nice to sit on initially and feel fine, but it's only after a few hours that you find out what they're really like.

All tips and ideas appreciated.

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Ok so I've been doing some research in the mean time and a friend has a one seater couch that's really comfortable. They bought it last year so I rang the store but unfortunately they don't have them in stock any more, and they didn't remember the name of it.

So can anyone identify the couch in the attached pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Just my opinion, unless you go crazy money (thousands), in general the more sleek or fashionable a couch looks the less comfy.

Ikea couches, I've only been on one that was comfortable, my mate has it, it was one of the expensive ones from years ago, discontinued now, still comfy.

Finline couches are the business. The one you posted looks like an EZ Living that I know a couple of people have, both very good, both love them and find them hard wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

I once visited a friend that had an absolutely gorgeous and comfy outdoor sofa, she said she shopped it here. I don't know how long they stay comfy though.

Ikea does a lot of things right, but prolonged comfort on sofas/couches is definitely not their strongest trait. We had a marcel sofa when I was young and I remember it lasted us for decades–need to find a picture of it. I'm sure The Marcel still makes stuff?

One lifehack could be buying a mattress stopper. You can still put it on a sofa and it's bloody amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

What is your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

We picked up a finline suite for nothing second hand. And it’s so comfy. Really hard wearing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a sofa and chair from M&S, it's still very comfortable a few years on. I got it at something like 40% off in one of their big sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks some great suggestions there will do some searching.

Budget would be around the 800 to 1k mark, hopefully it's possible to get something comfy in that price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Arnotts do the best furniture range

Advertisement