Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cordless Vacuum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

I'd personally not buy either.

The reviews for the more expensive one seem okish but definitely not the cheaper one.

I know a fair bit about these types of vacuums as I've bought some over the last decade.

Although the power of the 29 volt one seems ok. It seems to be suffering partially from the same issues as the other. When resistance is applied to the motor..it's power drops too fast. That's why carpets being poor are mentioned in both review sections. The 29 volt gets over this a little by increasing it's power compared to the other. So it has about 30pc drop extra before it reaches the same state as the cheaper model.

Its a bit of a hack around the problem. Adding more power is just the cheaper way of solving the issue.

Two brands that I've personally used are Dyson and shark. Shark overs better value but is a little heavier. Dyson is king but only worth the money when it's on sale.

Both those brands are more expensive but have much more robust quality parts which handed the high resistive load better.

While these cheaper brands mimic the structure well in the housing n shape. They can't mimic the high quality parts in the motor at these prices and that's essentially the guts of the things you are buying.

Can you wait a black Friday sale of either shark or Dyson?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

to be honest, this is just needed as a secondary vacuum for quick jobs, we already have a corded Miele for the big jobs.

even in a Black Friday sale, the cost of the Dyson and sharks are probably around minimum 200 Euro, so still quiet expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I have a Shark and it’s great in that the suction is good and it’s easy enough to use. I also use a Miele corded. The problem with hand held ones is the tiny dust collection space. Needs emptying so often and filters must be kept clean and brushes freed of hairs etc. I rarely bother with it except for very small jobs.

My son also bought a hand held to supplement the main one and finds that he rarely uses it too.

So for this basic use, I just need a cordless one to do basic stuff as the corded Miele will do everything else.

any other suggestions at a budget??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

I generally think the budget end of this market is a bit of a false economy in terms of quality, durability and lifespan of the product. We have a Dyson cordless which is used daily (also have corded Nilfisk). The Dyson is about 6 years old and is still going strong, had to replace the brush head last year for about 28 euro, battery is still good with a good lifespan. Also get excellent support from Dyson which is reassuring too. I know they are expensive, but they last and are a quality item. Friends of ours keep buying the cheap cordless hoovers, have gone through 3 of them in the last few yearsand just stopped replacing them.

Overall I think it cost us about 380 at the time, but that's spread across 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any thoughts on this.

https://www.aldi.ie/beldray-2-in-1-cordless-vacuum/p/715373531018700

Mainly for laminate floors and carpet on the stairs.

Advertisement