Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chondromalacia patella Possibly

Options
  • 11-09-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, had an MRI about 2 months ago on a knee that I was suffering persistent pain on for a number of years, in fact the pain wasn't just around knee, also on side, lower leg and around HIP. I'd been waiting on an MRI for quite some time and more recently pain became unbearable, resulting in Strong pain relief and sleeping tablets being prescribed, both have helped.

The MRI results were not very definitive, the call I got from registrar mentioned a 99% possibility of Osteoarthritis, I should mention this was around the cyber attack and getting images uploaded was problematic. Confirmation would be shared with GP.

I was to receive a follow-up but nothing, My excellent GP wrote to the hospital and got a quick response stating Chondromalacia patella was picked up, no mentionof Osteoarthritis.

Left bewildered, I struggled on and GP has requested a full review and prescribed pain relief, I've actually developed a limp and had to reduce movement as much as possible.

I'm pencilled in for a review soon but wondered about Chondromalacia patella, I'd never heard of it and my symptoms suggest something more serious, particularly persistent knee & lower leg pain, a burning type sensation and sleep near impossible.

From what I've researched physio an option but as it happens, early on when pain had started to develop two years ago, I had some physio sessions, they did help but realistically only for a period of days, to be fair, at that time, it was assumed i had Muscle or ligament issues.

So just thought I would ask if anyone had experience of Chondromalacia patella (if it is in fact that) and or has such a condition been easily confused with osteoarthritis.

Thank you, I'm just concerned my condition worsening and worried about developing a reliance on strong pain relief and sleeping tablets.

Thanks in advance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Yes I have that.

If you do a load of strength work around the knee muscles you can greatly reduce it. For me it can still come and go. I don't have it that bad. I can walk, run, sleep, need no pain killers. However, I ref matches and run around like a lunatic and in the middle of a match you don't want that achey feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi Tim, my Diagnosis has moved on since I posted this question. In part I have Chondromalacia patella but have since been Diagnosed with Functional Nuerological Disorder, something I'd never heard of.

I've also Osteoarthritis. Physio is helping but essentially its pain management meducation moving forward.

Thanks for the response.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement