Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydranga help

Options
  • 11-09-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi folks , question I cut back my hydrangea last year right down to nearly noting , this summer it grew massively but never flowered. I obviously cut it back way too much. Now it’s just a bit too big but I don’t want to not have it flower next year , but Also ideally don’t want it getting much bigger than what it is now. Any suggestions to help just keep it the same size but flowering next year or even making it smaller but flowering. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, it's been s strange year for Hydrangea, I've spoken to friends would had fantastic blooms ,some like me, nothing. In my case, I actually didn't prune at all last autumn, had read its sometimes fine to lead old heads die off gradually as they offer some protection in winter.

My real issue was the surprise frost we got very late April and whilst foliage had grown, it was all lost with the frost, gradually my plants recovered, fantastic leaf growth and despite fine summer weather, not a single bloom on my 3 plant's.

I live in the Midlands and I'm just guessing it was the late extreme frost that was my problem it may have been yours as you've said despite heavy pruning you had great growth but no blooms.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Mine hardly flowered but had a lot of leaf this year. You can prune in late winter or early spring without disrupting flower formation. Cut back the stem to s strong, healthy pair of buds but don't be too drastic after a hard prune last year.

Advertisement