Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for Returning Ex-Pat

Options
  • 12-09-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ive recently returned from Australia having spent 3 years there. Unfortunately, my no claims bonus for my car insurance is no more and the price of insurance for me now is ridiculous. I bought a 2009 car with a 1.8 diesel engine, I have a full clean driving license for 11 years, never had an accident, both my parents as named drivers and the best I can get is €1750 per year!

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will give me an appropriate and cheaper quote to reflect my experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I wouldn't mind an answer to this too. I have 13 years no claims in ireland, low mileage and getting 3rd party quotes of 500+.

Are there any insurance companies outside of ireland that people use? I've heard of insurers in the netherlands giving much better quotes but would have to look into it more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Average insurance costs is around 800 euro.

You should have bought a car with a smaller engine and get an insurance quote with the exact registration number before you buy the car.

You don't mention if quote is fully comprehensive, or third party. I suggest ringing brokers and companies direct and your 1750 may be fair with zero no claims history. In a year's time it may drop significantly. You don't mention age, km per year, all of which factor into quote.

Advertisement