Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon vs aluminium for xc

• 12-09-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

In the market for an xc hardtail, budget of around €2000. Some nice aluminium bikes out there like lapierre prorace 5.9 or specialized chisel with good components. But in the same price range you could get a carbon xc with average components.

for a man on a budget and general racing, what are peoples opinions on carbon vs alu for xc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭comete

I recently got a carbon Scott scale 940 for about 1800 for racing, and it’s fine. The frame is lovely, but everything stuck to it is pretty bargain bin. I personally wish I’d gotten a highly specced aluminium bike, but for me it was more a case of taking what was available in my size when I was looking.

TLDR: if you want something nice you can jump on and ride, get the alu bike with nice components. If you like the idea of future upgrades, get carbon. The chisel is a nice looking bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I’m beginning to agree with Comete, get a half decent carbon bike and it’s easy upgrade as the bike ages so long as you’ve a good carbon frame. Buy an aluminium and you might just say I wish it was carbon in 3 years. Durability and strength wise what are people’s experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭comete

Carbon is easier than aluminium to repair, however I’ve crashed aluminium, steel and carbon bikes and never done any noticeable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

Just jumping on this , is there anything that would be recommended on the cycle to work scheme that would be useful to race ?. Would very much so a beginner in the xc scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I was looking at the Lapierre pro race 5.9 or an orbea alma. Both aluminium with good specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

i still think my giant xtc carbon was the best bike purchase that I've made. its 8 years old and the frame has stood up amazingly well. bit more compliance than an alu bike.

if you arent doing bike to work you should consider carbon.

Advertisement