Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone give a toss about 9/11?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Damm good point it has to be said, I left NY a week before it happened, I used to walk by the twin towers every morning around 9:15 - 9:20…I watched the second plane tear into the towers as I tried frantically to ring the one person I thought the most of in the whole world who I knew could be under the towers…Phones didn’t work…I cried watching people throw themselves to their deaths from the towers, I cried for me who could so easily have been there, I cried for my best friend who I did not hear from for three days, I cried for humanity because sometimes…correction, a lot of times there seems to be so little of it in humankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I give / gave a toss... but it’s an event that occurred 20 years ago. i don’t know of anybody killed in 9/11 although my cousin is a lawyer in New Jersey now but based in the NY office then and had clients in both towers... no Skype or Zoom in those days, so a client meeting was in person... because of the communication shîtstorm with cell phones and said technology being in relative infancy he wasn’t able to contact home from the car or his wife able to get him and his wife couldn’t remember if he was due to head towards the towers although she was sure enough if he was ..based on when he left home he’d never have got there before the towers were hit...

I'll never forget the day it happened and watching it all on TV when I got home from work.

Incredible scenes which I'll never forget but to have been there on that very day must have

been one hell of an experience with so many people losing their lives and so many more

giving their lives in the attempted rescue of others and others doing whatever they could.

I've watched many a documentary on the events after 9/11 and it still today upsets me!

How they picked themselves up afterwards and just got on with life after that event was the real achievement!

A lot of disturbing memories were buried after 9/11 but they resurface annually I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I feel sorry for the people that died but come on you have to hand it to the terrorists it was an amazing achievement, To score 3 out of 4 direct hits is some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

You nailed it.

I would also add that tragic deaths of people closer or perceived as being more "like" one tend to resonate the hardest, just as we will find the death of a friend or relative more upsetting that that of whoever was killed in the latest car crash somewhere else in the country. Countless people die around the world every day, and some of those deaths will resonate more than most. That's normal, not a character flaw. We have more in common culturally and linguistically with those who died on 9/11 than we do with the victims of the Asian tsunami, for example. That doesn't mean one is indifferent to those deaths, of course, just that some hit one's inner gong that bit harder, and for many different reasons. Another factor in 9/11 was that whereas usually we only see the aftermath, even if only shortly after, of tragic events, whereas we watched the 9/11 attacks unfold in real time and for a long time before the event moved from "happening" to "aftermath". A plane crash live, people jumping/falling to their deaths live, two huge skyscrapers collapsing, live. Of course it bloody well resonates with people. Except for the Americaphobes, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"Why should I or anyone else shed a tear when their demise was used to kill a million people who had nothing to do with it.?"

What a bizarre comment. The people who were victims on that day deserve no sympathy because of the actions of the government afterwards? That makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

It was a terrible event and very harrowing for the people of New York and the USA in general.

However, I can't help thinking that it is a case of the chickens coming home to roost/you reap what you sow.

The USA had it coming from their activities over practically the entire second half of the 20th century. The individuals did not have it coming, it wasn't their fault, although I've no doubt some would have supported American foreign policy.

Of course their policy got worse since then.

Advertisement