Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified car insurance question

• 13-09-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

If i modify my car and dont tell my insurance company and have a crash into another they may “refuse to pay out”

what about if you have third party insurance? What happens then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

They are obligated to pay the third party claims but they can reclaim it off you in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For new policies and renewals from Sept 1st 2021 onwards, there is no obligation on you to inform the insurance company of anything, you simply provide truthful answers to the questions they ask.

But that guarantees that from now on, every proposal form will explicitly ask you if you have modified the car from the manufacturer's specifications. Which a lot of them used to ask anyway.

As the poster above points out, they will still pay a third party claim but they can come after you for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware you may be brought to court for driving without valid insurance by Gardai and then you may get a procesution which will make getting insurance again nearly impossible.

I think before you choose to modify any car or buy a modified car (even installing a new radio, or new wheels can be considered a modification) , you should consider the impact on insurance, which may make it near impossible for you to get insurance or for you to end up lying to insurance and basically in the event of a crash, your insurance being invalid. You should declare anything non factory.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

>You should declare anything non factory.

Who decides where the line is drawn? Factory components wear out and need to be replaced as cars age.

If someone chooses to replace rubber bushings with polyurethane bushes it doesn't turn their car into a death trap.

If the fit the cheapest tyres they can find, then it might do exactly that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's what's known as a "material" mod.

Upgrading suspension would be one I'd imagine.

Insurers decide if they'll pay or decline a claim, but policyholder is free to persue it legally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement