Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GP in Drogheda?

Options
  • 14-09-2021 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I moved near Drogheda at the end of 2019 and haven't been to a GP as things were closed a few months later. I've heard that few to none are accepting new patients. Is this the case?

Comments

47 Medical on Fair St. were taking new patients last I heard but that was back in April when my brothers wife moved to them. I've been myself for various issues over the years and found them great and my own wife attended during both pregnancies. I had a 10 day wait on an appointment though a while back but I'm sure most places are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

While on the topic of GPs, do they all make you wait ridiculous amount of time before seeing to you, or is it just my local?

Except for the early part of the pandemic, my GP would book me in for certain time, I will turn up on time, then have to wait anywhere between 30-90 minutes before getting seen to. What is the point of booking appointments?! Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I've had that happen too. I have noticed GPs starting their day (arriving at clinic) 10-15 mins after their first scheduled appointment. Add in calls to or from hospitals, medical reps and other interruptions, plus patients who stay longer than their alloted appointment time, and it's pretty much guaranteed that clinics will run late.

I'm talking pre-pandemic here, the pandemic GP experience was quite different with phone consultations and waiting in cars to be called into the clinic if a personal visit was required. Couldn't fault time slippage under the new conditions.

Wheaton Hall practice?? Sounds like it from my experience of them when I lived on that side of town. My sister is still going there and it's even worse now. I'm not going to post up her experiences in recent weeks with the child as it would ID her if they read this but my advice is look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes, normal. most dentists, hospital clinics do the same. Book everyone in for the same slot and then it's first come, first served. It means they will always have someone to see next and have no idol time.

• Advertisement

Having seen a GP 3 times, dentist twice in the last 3 months and referred for X-Ray this is not the case now or pre-covid with the exception of the X-Ray. A 30-90 minute wait on arrival is not normal at a GP or dental practice. They are not block booking appointments for X-Rays in the Lourdes at least in my experience, they tell you 10am now they mean it, one of the few covid benefits to their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Finding another GP practice is almost impossible at the moment, so moving elsewhere isn't easy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea 30-90mins is extreme. I'm talking more 20-30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not normal at our GP. We get in within 10 minutes of the appointment time - often less.

Also usually no more that 24 hour wait for an appointment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, I’ve never had that issue with my doc. If I’m given a time and am there at the time, I get seen at the time.

• Advertisement

Yes, Wheaton Hall. 30-90 mins unfortunately is the norm there in my limited experience. Just last week, my wife had to wait over 45 mins past her appointment time to be seen at Wheaton Hall.

I appreciate that they need to handle emergencies, support calls from hospitals etc but surely they can just give a call/text and let people know that they are running behind schedule, or move the appointment by 30 mins etc. I really don't see the point of fixing a time and then not honoring it, I wish I could start billing them for my time when I had to sit and wait to be seen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is the answer to have no appointments and to wait hours for your turn if the waiting room is full, or longer appointment times which would delay getting an appointment for weeks? Treating patients is not a mechanical process which takes the same time for everyone, would you like to be rushed out the door/consult ends abruptly mid sentence as the end of your allotted time approaches? Or, would you like your GP to focus on your problem and take whatever time is necessary to help you/your child?

Post edited by Dav010 on

Hello Mr. GP :)

I am nobody but since you asked, I would like the GP to focus on the case at hand and take whatever time is necessary (within reason of course) to do their task to their own satisfaction and judgement - they are the experts after all. Appointments running over are totally fine - but perhaps they could use these wonderful modern technologies like text messaging or an app to let folks know that their appointment will be delayed by 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes so that they don't have to turn up and wait not knowing when they will be seen to. Of course that won't help if the immediate appointment before mine is the one that's taking forever - but that's not the case usually, I think.

Again, unfortunately, you are assuming that as a GP is delayed by 30 mins now, they will continue to be 30 delayed by the time it is your appointment. Do you want a text precisely at the time your appointment should start to say there is a delay? The appointment before yours could take 5 mins meaning the delay is cut to 15 mins, then there is a wait for you to come in to your appointment.

Strangely, patients often complain about delays, yet they have no issue if they are the ones who cause the delay.

Understood. I could be wrong about this but I feel a good chunk of WH clientele are local - that is, people who travel 15 mins or less than to get to the GPs. To this group, a heads up just 15 mins before the appointment saying "hol'up, we are moving your appointment by X minutes" will be really useful. Heck, even when you are at the waiting area, some indication of progress would be useful (like how a token number display keeps folks happy in a generic office setting, the idea is to provide feedback and not to leave someone in the dark).

Anyway, perhaps I am just an impatient control freak who is ranting for no reason. And based on the comments here it's probably just a WH problem.

Happens in every clinic, every Clinic has patients such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Aston Medical been good to us.

Only in the area since end 2019.

Not sure what to say to that. Would you rather make most clients wait 30-90 mins than the GP wait 5 mins occasionally (who probably have calls to return to, paperwork to do? Strange, it's as if GP's idle if there isn't a patient in front of them?!)

The efficiency, effectiveness and satisfaction gained by proactive communication - goes both ways, give patients more ways to intimate cancellations and running late/early etc - can only be a productive thing - And at the cost of what - the admin staff pressing couple of buttons on a screen?! What are you saving by not doing this?!

I use Ardmell Clinic, and have done for many years. And I am very happy with the care and attention I get. All the staff, from receptionists, nurse and Doctors are great

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

I'm with Dr Cremin for the last 30 odd years. Never wait more than a few minutes over the time I'm given.

Wife and kids are in wheaton Hall. Theyre very nice in there but it can be a very frustrating place for reasons stated above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement