Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking photos at the airport

• 15-09-2021 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm planning on travelling to London in November and I have recently purchase a high quality Nikon camera. I'd like to take photos of the start of my journey and not just when I arrive. My friend told me that taking photos might be a breach of GDPR if I were to post them on Flickr as they'll be dozens of people in the terminal, at restaurants, in the plane etc...

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

No, the main issue will be that a lot of the airport will likely not allow photography. People using phones get away with it, but a high quality Nikon will attract attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Nothing to do with GDPR. Most likely, some strategic buildings aren't allowed to be recorded or photographed due to possible leak of information to the other countries. This mostly applies to the more intense regions or even post soviet countries which some of them still have this kind of outdated law. However, some modern and even not involved in any war and neutral countries still have this or similar restriction. Some train and coach stations, police stations, prisons, military building aren't allowed to be recorded even outside. Most bank wouldn't let to make pictures too. Experienced myself when a police was called and I had to delete my photos in order to avoid legal troubles, and I was making photos outside of a coach station, just recording incoming coaches. This was declared by the coach station owners as a possible spying by the competitors. Sounds stupid, as I can easily make photos of a coach anywhere else on the streets and I doubt I'd have issues making pictures inside of a coach/bus either. Normally there's a sticker at the entrance of these buildings, notifying about such rules. You could also just ask inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

On what basis are people not allowed photograph in the airport? Is there some specific provision in law? Is it a private building.

Thank you

GDPR is to do with the storage and retention of personal data and I'm pretty sure it only applies to companies.

It's nothing to do with blocking an individual from taking pictures.

You should be fine with taking pictures in the airport's.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

There is no expectation of privacy when in public, but the airport is private property and the airport authority can restrict you taking pictures anywhere in the airport that they choose.

Having said that, once you are not taking pictures in any of the explicitly designated no photography or videos areas (security check, customs, immigration, etc.) you will probably be ok taking pictures. If you are taking pictures of a specific person, as opposed to them being in the background, then they may complain.

Planes, again, are private property and the airlines in general have a don't take pictures policy, but as long as you aren't causing any disruption and are following the safety guidelines (a large camera is probably required to be stowed for takeoff and landing) and put it away if the cabin crew ask you, then there shouldn't be any problems.

There's no GDPR breach to publishing the photos as they were taken in a public place, but if someone is in the background of a photo and asks you to remove it from Flickr, then the decent thing to do is to remove it, crop it or blur their face.

When you get to London, I don't know what the regulations are in the airport, but it is likely that you can't take a large camera out until you are past security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The airport is a private building. You have no right to enter the airport. This is the section of the Dublin Airport bye-laws on photography.

(32) using a camera, mobile telephone or similar handheld or other mobile device other than in accordance with signs or directions given by the airport authority or an authorised officer or in a manner which in the opinion of the airport authority or of an authorised officer is likely to be contrary to the interests of security or safety at the airport or the comfort of airport users where such opinion has been conveyed by or on behalf of the airport authority or any authorised officer or ought reasonably to have been known by the person so using it. 6.2 An authorised officer may— (a) seize and detain for such period as may be reasonable or until the conclusion of proceedings any item used in contravention of this ByeLaw, or (b) dispose of or destroy any item so used which is a threat to the safety or security of the airport or persons using it or the health of such persons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

There is no expectation of privacy when in public

This is incorrect, there can be a reasonable expectation of privacy even when in a public place.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The airport may or may not be a private building, but it is a public place - as in, a place to which the public has access.

The airport bye-laws prohibit the use of cameras, etc if:

(a) there are signs prohibiting photography; or

(b) an authorised officer thinks you are using the camera in a manner likely to be contrary to the interests of security or safety, or the comfort of users of the airport and either:

• he has told you so; or
    • it ought to be obvious to you that he thinks so.

So, basically, as far as the bye-laws are concerned, you can take all the photographs you like unless there is a "no photography" sign, or a security guy tells you to stop, which he should only do if he thinks you are compromising security, safety or the comfort of others.

Taking photographs at the airport is commonplace. Lots of people photograph their friends or relatives as they are leaving, or as they are arriving. Travellers also take photographs to document their journeys. I'm not aware that there has ever been a problem about this.

GDPR doesn't restrict this. It might restrict what you do with the photographs afterwards, but that's a different matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was interested to note that one of the cabin crew announcements the other day (my first flight in over 18 months) specified that you could take photos on board the plane, e.g. out the window, but were specifically forbidden from taking photos of the crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You really have to laugh at these eejits that scaremonger with gdpr.

Ask your friend to explain in detail how taking a photo in a public place has to do with gdpr.

Please revert with their answer as I'd like a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The only instances of a breach of privacy relating to photography in public have involved commercial use and publication in media. As suggested, obey any signs and stop if asked to. I have never had a problem using an SLR in an airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Doubt it's to do with GDPR? You're on private property so they can impose the rule of they so wish.

Apologies - I should’ve been clearer. Was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, they can't. The matter is regulated by the airport bye-laws, and bye-laws can only be made subject to the principles, in accordance with the policies, and for the purposes, set out in the State Airports Act, and following the procedures laid down in that Act, including public notice and consultation. The bye-laws are subject to review by the courts. They can't impose any rule they wish; they can only impose rules that the Act allows them to impose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They replied to a post about GDPR in the sky, presumably referring to what the rules are once you are in the air. Airport rules wouldn't apply at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I have heard in the past of people taking photographs around the perimeter at Heathrow, or in the car parks, being asked to stop by the police.

They are quite sensitive to possible terrorist attcks over there and have guns and no sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

On a recent Aer Lingus flight, cabin crew explicitly stated that taking photos /videotaping of any crew member was prohibited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And the Greeks have even less of a sense of humor, but the Dutch are pretty laid back.

I have seen hairy weather plane landing videos on Youtube where part of the video shows the coterie of plane spotters filming landings, so I take that with a pinch of salt, unless they were young men of middle eastern appearance who didn't lokk like they knew one end of a camera from the other.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Aircraft crew can ask you to stop taking photographs and you must follow their instructions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement