Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

housing list and offered house that i do not want?

Options
  • 15-09-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I live the city centre of Cork and on the housing list for 5 years, today I have received calls from the HAP team who offered me the house in the Mayfield area but I did not click the house on a choice-based system

that I don want to live in that area because the area is a bit unsafe to bring up children. (lots of talking about this area about crimes and other issues)

how can I refuse his offer kindly?

anyone has refused an offer before? if I refuse 2 offers in one year time then do they stop my hap payment?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Some parts of Mayfield are ok. The older 50’s parts. Did you go take a look?

On the housing list, it’s not likely to be Montenotte, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

beggars can't be choosers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

True but there is certain areas in Mayfield you couldn't pay someone to live in and it's the same areas constantly been refused and offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭tugii20

just update, HAP staff offered me the council house saying he will arrange for viewing for the next couple of days but he never called me back, so I guess someone has been placed.

Happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Being on the housing list doesn't make you a beggar BTW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

But it also shouldn't allow you be a chooser...

It's a "saying ", a bit like " you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink" or " never look a gifthorse in the mouth".......other sayings that are relevant to OP's 'pedicament' o

To make it short, the lady texted me yesterday saying the house is still available for viewing and asked me to confirm viewing.

I was shocked that no one has taken that house in Mayfield since the guy called me from the council in September 2021.

so I called the lady and explained that I have changed my preferred area a few weeks ago but she straight away said to me refusal for bidding for the next 12 months(it was said on the citizen information website that if a person refuses flat or house more than one offer in 12 months time then 12 months refusal will be applied). and also told her that I have small children to take care of and I don't want them to group up in the not-safe area.

and she told me that I have clicked bidding around 2020, maybe by accident which I feel not and surprised that no one has been allocated house nearly year now.

I am just wondering if I get refusal on choice-based letting can I still get my hap?

have anyone had a similar experience like me??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

arseholes be arseholes!

best of luck op, nothing worse than being unhappy in your home

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Did you even go up and have a look? Lots of people live in Mayfield, it's an established neighbourhood and not 'a bad place to bring up children' apart from some specific pockets of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 eoing90

The Op is clearly not interested in being housed. I can't believe the entitlement of some people in this country. You are being offered a perfectly fine house and are refusing because of the area? What planet are you living on? Straight to the bottom of the queue would sort this snobbery out very quickly.

Careful there Ted, lots of people may be thinking the same......... but the permanently offended will be outraged

I can understand where the op is coming from, I guess. Although Mayfield isn't the worst part of Cork, some of it is actually decent.

I do find it frustrating to read on the other hand, considering how I'm considered a white collar professional and I'm struggling to buy a place right now...

most important thing is security of family and where they grow up, it will affect in bad neighborhood for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I know plenty of great people from Mayfield.

Where are you from originally?

Zombie Thread.

Advertisement