Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present

Options
  • 15-09-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm getting a head start.

Father-in-law: likes all sorts, typically get him something history...WWII, America, British empire. That sort of stuff.

Any suggestions for books this year. All ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Enjoying "The International Brigades: Fascism, Freedom and the Spanish Civil War" by Giles Tremlett at the moment. It's weighty but authoritative, well written and very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Excellent. The reviews look good. I might be getting it for myself.

I usually buy him two books so any further ideas would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

History, etc wouldn't be my forte but I'm guessing that he might prefer something factual rather than fiction. Growing Up With Ireland: a century of of memories from our oldest and wisest citizens by Valerie Cox is one he might enjoy.

Or a good anthology of short stories is The 32:An anthology of Irish voices which features 16 stories by established authors and 16 by novices. Kevin Barry, Roddy Doyle, Lyra McKee, Rick O'Shea and more.

I've just finished John Creedon's That Place We Call Home which is a good read, especially if he has an interest in how different places got their names from, all told in John Creedon's witty and down-to-earth way.

Advertisement