If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV Options

Options
  • 15-09-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

Okay so I am considering looking to upgrade my current 43inch LCD HD TV to something new.

I would also mention we mostly watch Saorview, Disney+, YouTube, Blu-ray and DVDs (for the nostalgia).

There may also be an option to hook back up the free sat again, Maybe Amazon Prime or other streaming services in the future.

Also I have a lot of Google home integrated devices, like Speakers, Lights, plugs and camera. No next gen consoles.

I also have a Citation sound bar, with only Optical in option (No HDMI (e)ARC)

I have been looking around at the various options and minefield of new TV's including LCD type with IPS, VA, Nano, QLED and you name it.

I started to settle on this TV for value for money, Good size, Android, Ambilight and relatively recent.

1) Philips 58PUS8555 £549 (€645)

(The option of the Philips 50PUS8556 at €799 might be a bit of a stretch for the newer but only 50inch option)

Then I started to look at the benefits of OLED and what was available or possible.

The closest and best value was at first

2) Philips 55OLED705 €1049

Was collection only, but has changed today to Delivery

Then looking at other option mostly newer models with better connectivity from LG with the €/£100 promotion discount

3) LG OLED55A16LA - €999

4) LG OLED55B16LA - €1249

So the first question is, do I need to almost double the budget to get OLED or in fact is the Philips 8555 going to be sufficient upgrade from where I'm am now.

Am I better going 8555 now and waiting a few year to make the next step to OLED/Mini LED/Micro LED or the next level that's out then?

I know each TV in there own right is probable a very good option/deal, but I guess I need to know benefits of going OLED (Probable LG A1 with Discount?) is worth the extra money over the 8555?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Forestfire.

The Philips 8555 would be a great upgrade over your current TV but the OLED is in a whole other league.

The benefit for going OLED is better picture quality, better contrast, better everything.

It really is down to personal preference and budget but the OLED sets are the best screen on the market and worth every penny in my opinion.

I've had mine now for 4 years and it is still amazing.

The LG 55A16 is currently priced at £999 but we have a voucher that drops it to £899 with £6.99 delivery or 999 Euro delivered.

Hope this helps a little.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.