Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passing the RSA Driving Test

Options
  • 16-09-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All, I have yet to pass the driving test after 10 failed attempts. I have taken numerous lessons and have taken the test 5 times so far in 2021. Could somebody give me some advice on what to do and pass the test next time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

The best advice I could give is to look at the marking sheet that you receive at the end of each test. This will tell you where you incurred faults and therefore the areas of your driving that you need to work on. You should discuss the marking sheet with your Driving Instructor and they should be able to provide more insight for you.

Hope you manage to pass at your next attempt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

You have been exceptionally lucky to get 5 driving test appointments in 2021!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the same faults all the time, talk to your instructor as nicol suggested and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Try a different instructor 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

This. Five tests in 9 months is too much. Give yourself a break.

Go through all your sheets for common errors and go through them with a new instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 L2N

Hi,

The Irish driving test is very difficult. There is a lot of variation from one test to the next and the feedback is deliberately vague. So you have my sympathy in trying to understand why you failed and how not to fail in the future.

You, like most people, do not know what the tester is looking for and so rely on hear-say and hope. The RSA is quite vague publically about what they accept as good driving. "Just drive as you normally would!" will almost guarantee you fail.

The test requirements are very specific and you get penalised for deviating from what I call the RSA style of driving.

By my reckoning good drivers have a 50% chance of passing. 10 test is getting beyond statistical probability so I would suspect that there are

issues with your driving style. (I am assuming that you failed in the driving portion of the test and not on the admin stuff.)

If you look back at the penalty points you got in each test, see if you failed on the 4, 6 or 9 thresholds (If you failed on Grade 3s then you are not test ready or perhaps suffer from test induced nerves).

If it was 4 or 6 then you need to modify your driving to ensure you stop doing that particular 'fault' or start doing the thing that they didn't see in the test.

If you failed on the 9s then things are more difficult because you have to factor in the variation in testers too. This basically means you are doing a lot of little things 'wrong' in the eyes of the RSA. You might well be a decent driver but that is not what the test is checking for.

It is impossible to say why you failed any particular test. Without seeing your driving I can't help with the small details for which you get penalised. Your current instructor may or may not be the problem but certainly after 10 tests, another instructor's perspective will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Try a new instructor. Until now you obviously have had very poor instructor(s).

The Irish test is easy and straightforward. There is no quota, absolutely nothing secret or special, just drive safely and competently and you will pass.

After failing the test it is not the examiners job to explain exactly why you failed, his job is solely to mark. However he may, if he thinks it might benefit, give a little feedback. Any competent instructor should be able to explain exactly and fully why their pupil just failed the test. (Sometimes it might take some questioning on their part)

But if you were properly prepared to test standard you yourself would know why you failed.

Take a lesson with a new instructor and after watching you drive for a few minutes, if he is competent he will be able to explain exactly why you are failing. And then proceed to rectify.

Advertisement